SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiterosesinbloom

Help, new siding, sideways 60s ranch needs curb appeal

whiterosesinbloom
10 years ago

My 1960 ranch sits sideways on the lot. First challenge: how to liven up the very plain side of the home that faces the street. The gable vent will be eliminated. Options might be a non-functional gable vent, band board (does that work on wider gables like this?), wide trim, crown above the garage and window. A 1-2 foot wide roof all the way across above the garage door might work, or shingles above, normal siding below. I'd love to add a door here, but I think that might raise my assessment. A bump out to the left for storage would be nice. The garage door will be painted to match the trim.

Then the front: don't know what's under the wide aluminum trim at the top of the brick, maybe dentil? What would you replace that with, crown? What about the 9" wide blank space either side of the triple window? What to do around the front door? Those siding sections are 8-3/4" wide. Would like to replace the storm door with a full glass version, but worried about the new insulated fiberglass door warping from the sun, this side faces south.

What do you think of a subtle tan with off white or cream, siding/trim + gutters combination, possibly vinyl straight-edge shingles on parts. Will those colors look ok with the red brick?

Get rid of the shutters all around, or are some needed for interest/contrast?

What width shingle - 5, 7? 7 would be closer to the original wide wood shingles still on many homes in the tract.

Next door is dark grey, white trim, black shutters. Across street is white, black shutters. Nearby is light yellow, green shutters and medium green, white, black shutters.

From SidingIdeas
From SidingIdeas
From SidingIdeas
From SidingIdeas

This post was edited by whiterosesinbloom on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 22:15

Comments (10)