SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

newbie needs LOTS of help pls! (buying & arranging furniture)

laurensmom21
15 years ago

Hello all! I've been lurking for quite a while and am amazed at how friendly and helpful you all are, so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 33yo sahm with 3 little ones (4, 2, and 7 months). While I'm sitting here all day rocking my little one, I stare at my blank walls and long to have a 'finished' space! Dh comes from a long line of "if it's not broken don't fix it" mindframe, so to him furniture and accessories are not "necessities" (*gasp*)and therefore nice, but not needed. On the other hand, I'm a decorator at heart and spend hours and hours drooling over PB, RH, Ballards and other catalogs and websites. Needless to say, we've butted heads on a few occasions - LOL!

so now, on to my dilemma...Dh built our house a year ago and I was pregnant at the time we moved in (ie. tired & lazy!) and spent zero time decorating. So now that I'm feeling more up to it, I need to decide on what furniture/art/curtains etc. to get. Here's some pics of our space. The problem is the greatroom/entry/kitchen/dining is all wide open and I have no idea what color scheme to go with. The walls are a light straw/beige color. I don't really have a style - though I'd say it leans toward cottagey/tuscan/coastal bungalow if that says anything - HA! :)

So here's the great room - we were thinking of getting a flat screen for the wall where the armoire is and then maybe a couch/sofa table on the left and loveseat facing the tv and a recliner in the corner (dh has to have a recliner). What else do you think? I was thinking of Ballard's slipcover sofa. I'd love to get an off white set for the summer and a darker velvet (camel or chocolate?) for the winter?

{{gwi:1758477}}

here's a pic of the living room when you walk in the front door... None of the current furniture is staying (hopefully!) and I also need some better curtains. These offer no light control (can I get a blackout liner on already made woven blinds?)

{{gwi:1758476}}

entry (door is now a dark walnut stain color)

{{gwi:1762119}}

at a loss as to what to put here...chair? small chest? bench? the wall on the left is only about 32" wide and there will be a pocket door there to the laundry.

{{gwi:1762120}}

looking at kitchen from living:

{{gwi:1762121}}

dining...thinking of getting an etagere or something to put in the left corner and I definitely need a rug of some sorts.

{{gwi:1762122}}

My budget for everything is very limited, so I'd love any recommendations on getting the most bang for my buck. I know this is really vague, but I need so much help I wasn't sure where all to start? Thanks in advance!

Christy :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio