SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Anyone renovating in May/June?? Check in here!

redroze
15 years ago

I can't believe we are demo-ing our kitchen next week. I am so darn excited!!

For those of you renovating in May/June, please give an update on yourself so I can vicariously live through you!!!

As for us, we're renovating our original 24-year old kitchen that we've lived in for 3 years. We are completely gutting it, removing the "decorative" bulkheads, repositioning the island and putting in hardwood. Next steps for us:

- Demo happens next week

- Hardwood is laid in the kitchen

- All the hardwood on our entire main floor will be refinished and stained to match - a medium brown colour.

- Our granite slabs are on hold. The faucets and sinks just arrived from Quality Bath yesterday. Our appliances are delivered this Saturday.

- Cabinets are starting to get made TODAY.

- Meeting with our designer this Friday to choose white paint for perimeter cabs, and wood stain for island.

- Still to do: Choose hardware (we're going with simple chrome knobs). Choose window treatments and new furniture (kitchen table and chairs, bar stools).

Eeek...I can't believe it's finally happening!! I'm going to try and set up a web cam like another poster suggested so I can watch all the action from work.

Comments (111)

• zobeet
    15 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our old kitchen was demolished yesterday. So far the GC found a support beam where there wasn't supposed to be one. Head guy came over this AM to check it out, haven't heard what happened yet.

Kitchen is approx. 10'x11', will retain dimensions but we'll get rid of the partial wall with pocket doors so kitchen can accomodate a peninsula and an extra pantry.

We've now chosen appliances (mostly, not positive yet), granite (Golden Beach), and backsplash (I'm most excited about this, it's tumbled marble subway tile w/a beveled edge and four colors of 1"x1" glazed tiles as accents).

I'm just hoping the GC can stick to his proposed 3 month timeframe.

• jra2127
    15 years ago

We started the may 1st. We have quite a project because we are part insane. Not only is it completely DIY (with the help of my helpful FIL and my incredibly handy dad), we also bought unfinished cabinets. The cabinets took me about 2 weeks which is amazing considering we have two boys under the age of 3. We kept the layout basically the same only we moved our pennisula, changed a door to a window and took out soffits. I guess in 1960 light switches were hard to come by so all the added wiring seemed to take forever. The dust has finally settled from the demolition and most of our cabinets are in. The granite (which we can't decide on) will be 3 weeks yet, so we have old counter tops and the old sink so that the kitchen is usable.
    Anyway, we are proud of ourselves for what we have accomplished so far. I hope you all enjoy the pictures of our chaos!

Before:

Now--Still a ways to go but we are getting closer everyday:

• Related Discussions

June 1st update on renovation. How's Yours Doing?

Q

Comments (17)
    two cycle nut....I am glad to hear that your renovation worked well and that weeds were crowded out by KBG. I probably haven't seen enough to really say for sure, but if I were betting, I would say that the average renovated lawn will not be able to crowd out weeds for quite some time and that some use of weed killer will go a long way to helping things move along. I walked over to my neighbor's new KBG lawn today (renovated in the fall), and I absolutely couldn't believe the difference in just 2 weeks. I declared war on the weeds, and it appears that the grass has spread into most of the areas where the weeds had died out. The only bare spots that he has are where some animals went to work and dug out large holes early in the spring. When I renovate next year, I am going to use weed killer in the same way that he did. I enjoy fertilizing organically, but my new policy is "hybrid" and I'll cheat whenever necessary.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap.....June check-in!!!!

Q

Comments (46)
    My secret pal sent a lovely surprise box again. A nice card with a short note. A very cute cat planter holder that wiggles, or I don't know what to call it, it is not a cat pot holder. It is a wire cat that wiggles that holds a 6 inch clay flower pot, included. I will have fun filling that pot! There is personalized stationery to use with my old people I write to. Gotta be careful there, I am in that bracket! A cute book on cats, questions and answers about cats. A real nice pair of garden gloves, which will come in handy. Mine have holes in the thumbs. Why do we just hang onto the old and not replace them? Then a super nice can of nice smelling garden soaps. No plants, which was super fine, we went to Ore. & I stopped at a few nurseries, and got plants for 50% off, and for over a week, have been working on getting them into the flower beds. I am taking pictures to send her eventually. I enjoy my secret pal, and it gives us a break in our routine. Now I have another great cat book to read! Thank you so much for all you send. P.S. we have sort of adopted a stray cat a mo. ago, and sure makes me long for a new one again. This one is outside, and always in fights, a unneutered male. Last week, he got part of his ear removed and his face all gouged up, fighting with a racoon. Have a good month secret pal!
    ...See More

Haven't started yet people - Check in here; How's it going

Q

Comments (50)
    This is where I am at, DH seeÂs us remodeling kitchen in three or more years and I see us remodeling our kitchen in the next year or earlier. So, Right now I am more in the process of elimination as far as cabinet brands go. Many earlier brands have been eliminated due to size issues as in I want and need deeper and taller wall cabinets and prefer little to no fillers. Also, cost has been a big factor. I have a basic idea of layout but need help in changing the nook area and windows. Some appliances will be reused but we will replace refrigerator with the kichenaid 42" built-in French door paneled and replace the microwave with the adventium. I have the countertop narrowed down to three or four and know exactly what I want for the backsplash, still unsure of wall splash behind stove though. The kitchen sink has been narrowed down to two choices and cab hardware to three. I know what I want for lighting but havenÂt found exactly the right one, I will know it when I see it. Still tossing around the idea of wood range hood verses stainless. The doors of my dreams are simple $$$applied moulding but with most likely end up with nice raised panel for style of home. Husband thinks I spend way too much time thinking of and planning for the kitchen.
    ...See More

Anyone else tired of May "Grey" and June "Gloom"?

Q

Comments (25)
    I spent the first 25 years of my time in Los Angeles close enough to the beach that I did not need (or at least did not have) air conditioning, as the breezes from my windows were enough. I first lived Culver City adjacent (Palms), then Venice for 15 years very close to the beach, and I've been in Westchester for eight years now, and we put in central A/C three years ago - partly because we have some airport noise when we open the windows. I grew up in Texas and hated the heat there - then moved to San Francisco and hated the cold, and so L.A. is a nice in-between. I especially do not like cold and damp (like I had in S.F.) as I am susceptible to sinus infections in that kind of weather, but I am fine with coastal fog in the summer. The summer fog in S.F. was much, much colder than the fog in L.A., partly due to the wind chill. I generally spent August in Vancouver, BC and winters in Mexico when I lived in S.F., but I got tired of having to leave town so often. I find that a lot of plants like the coastal climate here, especially epiphyllum and certain orchids. My bromeliads do well here also, but I have to keep a lot of them protected from too much sun. I had a huge passion vine in Venice, but I grew it from a potted plant - not seeds. I will admit that certain seeds are difficult to start when it is not hot enough, especially chili seeds, and so I have to start those indoors.
    ...See More
  • tgpdd
    15 years ago

We will be starting demo in another couple of weeks. It's a DIY project. Dh is a teacher and I'm on sabbatical, so we figured this is the time to go for it.

We aren't doing any major rearranging of the footprint. We're replacing the cabinets, countertops, light fixtures and flooring. The house is about 20 years old, and the original contractor stuff is crap and really is getting on my last nerve.

I'm expecting to hear from the cabinet/countertop place any day now. We actually should have gotten them delivered by now, but I wasn't pushing it because I was waiting for our economic stimulus check to pay for the countertops. Now I'm starting to worry a bit because we have a very tight schedule once school is out.

I'm looking forward to this and I'm terrified at the same time. Dh does wonderful work, but he tends to do it on a geological time scale. His last project was redoing the family bath down to the studs. It came out great but took almost two years! He still hasn't stained all the trim.

I'm hoping that the lack of kitchen and no decent meals will be motivational, coupled with my being around to nag nonstop. I made some decisions (like laminate flooring instead of the ceramic I'd really love) with an eye in mind to materials that go more quickly. I figure we can update the flooring in five years if I really hate it.

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Our cabinets are going in!!! I'll link to the post with my cabinet photos...

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet photos

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I wasn't supposed to be renovating in June...my contractor thought I'd be done in 4 (or at most) weeks, I translated that into 6 to 8 weeks, and I only got running water 2 days ago/8 weeks into the project.

• cambro5
    15 years ago

jra2127 - I remember your kitchen from your earlier post when you were working on your layout! (Your brick peninsula is very memorable!) Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

We start Monday coming up - I will be spending the weekend emptying out the kitchen - where do I put all this Junk??? This is SO NOT DIY!! My DH has had absolutely no interest in this project from the start (when we argued over the layout!). They told me it will take two weeks, but I take that with a grain of salt. I KNOW this project, strangers in the house, the mess, is going to drive DH crazy! He likes a quiet peaceful house....but he's a great guy, really :-) My other big worry is that they'll tear up floor, remove the cabs, or punch holes in my ceiling and find something rotting that has to be replaced for more $$$!!! So, not getting a whole lot of sleep...! I'll be glad to get the show on the road.

My MIL gave us a two-burner 'hot plate' to use in our temp kitchen, and I'm telling you it's 40 years old at least!! I'll have to work on my grilling skills.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cathy's kitchen album

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

We're pretty much done - took 3 weeks, completely a gut except for walls and ceiling and totally DIY except for coutertop install.

Still waiting on some light moulding, one door that was incorrect, one light, tile backsplash, and paint. I love my new kitchen!

Before:

After:

• kkupstate
    15 years ago

inkycrab - I love your new kitchen too!

We have a new fridge (along with sink and faucets) residing in our dining room and other appliances in the garage. Signed the granite contract today. KD assures me cabinets are at her site. We are set to start next Tuesday! (DD has preschool picnic on Monday and GC thought I would want to be there on day 1 so we are starting on the 10th)

We are getting close! Not looking forward to the before work ahead of me - I am procrastinating cleaning out current fridge, I think I better get a move on...

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

Wow inkycrab - only 3 weeks and you did it yourself? Kudos to you and yours. It looks gorgeous!

Well I'm happy and surprised to say that I just looked at the schedule I posted previously here and we're actually still on schedule. My new walls are being mudded as I type. (Obviously mine is NOT a DIY ;-)

• cambro5
    15 years ago

inkycrab, your new kitchen absolutely glows compared to the old! It's gorgeous! Are you putting in a tile backsplash or leaving as is?

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

inkycrab - what a beautiful kitchen! I can't believe you did it yourselves in just 3 weeks!

Enjoy your new kitchen!

Patti

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Congrats to Inkycrab! Your kitchen is lovely!

We are in week 3 of no kitchen. I have an electric skillet, microwave, crockpot, coffeemaker & grill so I'm managing to cook fairly well although we did break down and order a pizza tonight. Progress so far: down to studs demo, removed back wall with sliders (since we have french doors 2' away from previous sliders), new windows installed, plumbing and electrical roughed-in. Inspection tomorrow then we can proceed with insulation. Hopefully drywall next week. I'll show my before & pic of new window. Also, I had the contractor mock up the sink in the cabinet...the cabs on either side of the sink cab are not the ones that will actually go there, just wanted the effect.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Cambro, we are going to tile the backsplash (porcelain mosaic in neutral tones) and are painting as well. I hope to be totally done in the next few weeks.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

Inky, I love how you went from blinding white to the warmth of your Maple Shakers. Tres magnifique!

• jtalb
    15 years ago

Our kitchen remains in limbo until the cabinets that came with unfinished ends arrive.
    At least it is functional with a temporary sink & my stunning 'plywood wrapped with plastic picnic tablecloth' counters.
    On the plus side I am really loving how the kitchen works and my new window is great.

• ganggreen980
    15 years ago

Still working on it. We continue to have cabinet issues. By "mutual understanding" we no longer have a cabinet guy. I do believe he was fired. So, now contractor is trying to find someone else to come in and finish. We may look functional, but we're not really. My parents arrive in town next Thursday. I had better be up and running by then AND be able to have my dining room furniture in.

This is where we are at now:

Sorry the pictures aren't resized. When I try to edit them, Explorer shuts down.

I also have to add that it really isn't nearly as dark in there as these pictures would indicate. I guess we need to take some pictures in the middle of the day or with all the lights on. It really gives off a warm vibe - exactly what I was looking for!

• jujybean
    15 years ago

ganggreen, don't worry about how dark it is, it is still very pretty.

What issues do you have with your cabinets?

• ganggreen980
    15 years ago

Jujybean: Thanks! My issue with the cabinets is that they're not done. I'm missing one drawer front, none of the drawers slide properly and need to be shaved a bit, cabinet guy screwed up the island, so now none of the drawers on either side of the range will open, hardware needs to be installed, one more set of doors needs to go on, doors need to be aligned, toe kick on the island needs to be installed, quarter round throughout needs to go in. Then, around the corner from the kitchen is a new broom closet; however, cabinet guy screwed that up, so my broom closet will not fit a broom. So, it needs to be redone. Frankly, I can live without that before my parents arrive, as long as everything else is done! At this point, it's all little stuff, but it just needs to get done!

Because all the drawers need to be fixed, I'm not supposed to have anything in them just yet. Well, I have put a few things in a few of the drawers, but everything will need to be taken out yet again when they redo the drawers. I'm trying hard not to add anything else!

On the bright side, we did find 2 pots last night along with the frying pan. I had to borrow a Pyrex casserole from a neighbor Tuesday night and a cookie sheet last night.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

ganggreen those are some serious issues and I can see why he was fired. I sure hope that your contractor can find someone to fix those problems, especially with your parents coming soon.

After I hit the submit message button on my previous post, I did notice that you were missing a drawer front.

• ladyjd
    15 years ago

Well, now that you asked, we are a week into the project, removing walls, moving doors, and prepping for new hardwood throughout the upper level. We are living in our lower level, which has now become a cramped two-bedroom apartment, since we needed to move all furniture and 'stuff' down there. We appear to be about seven weeks away from being able to enjoy our new kitchen and floors.

Here's the old kitchen

And here's where we are now

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

passed plumbing, electrical & building inspections this week. ON TO DRYWALL :-)

• jujybean
    15 years ago

For those who have just started their remodel or into it a week or two, How are you doing so far? An inquiring mind would like to know!

• jagl
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is almost completed. Not without some problems along the way! We had to send back six of the cabinet doors because they used a different color glaze on them. Ended up with only 16 inches between the top and bottom cabinets when it was supposed to be 18. We were sent the wrong color toe kick for our peninsula. These and a few other little problems delayed the rennovation, but the end is in sight! I still don't have a backsplash or lighting picked out, so I'll probably be asking for opinions on those in the near future. Hopefully, I'll have pictures soon.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

We're almost done too. Paint is almost done (the color choosing was killing me). We need some trimwork, backsplash, and a light for over the sink. The end is in site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodel blog

• jujybean
    15 years ago

jagl and inky, I hear ya!

I am not getting much say in the kitchen color. Back splash is up and that is why I am not getting to pick. My resident painter says what goes on the walls whether I like it or not.
    switch and outlet covers yet to be picked out. Trim work finishing on Monday nite.

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

One potential disaster averted! Realized *last night* that one of the recessed cans was installed too close to the fridge cab and would have to be moved before the cabinet is installed MONDAY! Fortunately I have a really nice electrician who came today and not only moved the can for me but added an outlet in a last-minute addon cab where I plan to plug in our dustbuster and iron. PHEW!

• cambro5
    15 years ago

Week one is done and we have all cabinets up except for about 3 feet of crown molding that wasn't ordered - fortunately they ordered too much soffit board and they can use that as baseboard around my peninsula which will be nice.

Next week is lighting, flooring,and countertops. I am really impressed with how quickly it is all happening!

I am so excited! Its turning out great. Got soft close drawers as a free upgrade for ordering my cabinets in April and am loving it! They are full extension too which I didn't expect...do the two go together?

We slid the range into place since they are not doing the floors until Wednesday.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Inky, gang and cambro your kitchens look great! Congrats on the progress!

I am in a somewhat holding pattern. Old kitchen demo'd.

Took everything down to the studs.

New cabs are in but decided to extend the fridge into the garage (back side of kitchen) six inches to better recess my new french door fridge. It won't stick out quite as far into the small kitchen. Cabs are beautiful and they are frameless, full extension, soft close for the doors and drawers. I love the door one as DB (dear boyfriend) doesn't have a quiet bone in his body and slams the doors. I jump, and scream every time as it scares me, since I am not expecting it. Sounds like a shot going off to me (I have very sensitive hearing).

Went and templated granite on Friday. I LOVE my slabs. They are just beautiful! They had some "new" Yellow River granite at the stoneyard. Hated it. No movement at all.

Lowe's has totally screwed up my appliance order. So now we have to reorder which will take a few weeks. That is delaying things. So flooring will be going in this and next week. Not looking forward to this at all. Have to try to cram everything I have in the kitchen, living and dining room into my bedroom and another bedroom. Not sure how this is going to work at all. Was hoping to have the kitchen done first before the flooring went in. So, I may have to transport practically everything I own in my car to my boyfriends garage and back again, when kitchen and flooring is complete.

Shame, shame, shame on Lowe's. They noted in the invoice the range was NOT what I ordered and didn't send it back (thought I wouldn't notice a wall oven wasn't the same as a range). The hood was smashed beyond anything recognizable but they thought I would want it anyway. So, I am without a kitchen for another month.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

OK, I just had to add on to this thread because I know there are others just as frustrated as I am. May 30th was our finish date, and of course I am still not in my new kitchen!! The last details are taking forever, there are 8 people in my house again today painting, trim work, fixing installs etc. I have a range hood 4 weeks on backorder after we had to change at the last minute when our old one did not fit, backsplash to go in, etc. I really thought I would be one of those publishing "finished pictures" by now. We are starting to run over budget with all these delays and the financial stress is not helping either. Big sigh- I feel better now:)

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

I was just wondering how many are done and how many ran into problems. I feel so bad for you that have delays. My delays didn't affect me getting back in and being functional.

My reno was a DIY and my dh has run out of steam. This is his busy time at work so he doesn't have much energy or time to finish my kitchen. We just have trim work, grout, and a light to deal with now. I gave up trying to decorate for now.

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Well, I notice that I posted back on May 10 that we were "any day now" on our permits and had been for two weeks. They finally came through on June 12 - needless to say, both we and the contractor are not happy with the county, but what can you do?

At least we did get them, though, and are now 4 weeks into a 6ish month project. Old kitchen is demo'ed but nothing happening yet with the new one, since they are working on framing the new areas we're adding onto the house. But it's nice to see others finishing and making visible progress!

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

snowy, jen - I feel your pain! Although I noted in my post on this thread that this would be a slow process, living through the reality is something else. Like snowy, this is an addition. STARTING to see progress on our "hole" (aka new kitchen), if you compare this pic to the one I originally posted. This pic was taken on July 1. We're *just* about ready to put in the basement floor.

Looks like our six month project will stetch to at least an extra month...

{{gwi:1849095}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, it's nice to see that this post is still hopping even though it's mid-July. As the original poster, I too started my demo in mid-May and two months later we're not in our kitchen! Blame it on the first time we stained our floors and they were wrong, wrong, wrong, and we had to wait weeks to book another hardwood refinisher and everything got delayed. Our cabinets are being installed in the evenings as our subs have another job during the day! I really feel for them as it wasn't their fault (the flooring guy was a guy that we sourced).

Luckily there is a ton of progress. Our cabinets are being installed, granite measurements happened this morning and templating meeting on Monday night. Pretty soon, we will be putting the finishing touches and choosing a backsplash, buying stools and a kitchen table and chairs, pendants and window treatments.

Click here to see a post with our cabinet installation in progress.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

I've been done for awhile, other than puck lights and paint. So to me that is finished. I should have posted my pictures sooner, but I want more angles and features, but I can post a couple. I think everyones kitchens are going to be spectacular when they are completed.

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Jujybean, wow, looks great! I can only dream about the day. I really like your backsplash.

Elizpiz, it's nice to know someone else is in it for the long haul, too. Here's ours as of two days ago. They've finished excavating and foundation, done the plumbing and HVAC underneath and just started on framing. DH said they actually started on walls yesterday, but I didn't make it over there to see and take pictures. But it's nice to see some progress!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Awesome kitchen, Jujybean! It turned out great!

I guess the last time I posted, the cabinets were just going in. This past Friday our granite was installed (except for the backsplash). The photos are here.

Good luck to those who are adding additions! We were looking at just a foundation last December (but for a whole house build). I can't believe we're almost at the end of our build!

Patti

• beachcomber3
    15 years ago

Bellsrus,
    Looks great! What color is the paint?

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Beachcomber3 - The paint is SW Oyster Bay...

• afr66
    15 years ago

We started our project on June 11 (so about 4 1/2 weeks ago). It was a full down to the studs renovation, including removal of our back stairs and an old, unused chimney that broke up the wall. During demolition the contractor removed 4 layers of ceiling and 5 of flooring - we also ended up having to move a pipe and fix a leaking vent pipe. Oh, and we also moved and replaced all our windows and a door to the outside so it is a completely different layout. As of today, we have all the cabinets installed and our granite folks are coming to template tomorrow. My contractor says the whole thing should be done in 2 1/2 weeks (trim, appliances, granite, finish electric & plumbing, backsplash and the outdoor work - new stairs & putting in new siding & window trim from where things were moved).
    All I can say is that my contractor has been outstanding. I never expected such quick, thorough work -he is amazing. Can't wait to be back in the kitchen which is shaping up beautifully!!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

4 layers of ceiling and 5 of flooring! Wow!! How old is your house, afr66? That's a huge project to be so far along in such a (relatively) short amount of time!

Patti

• catamount90
    15 years ago

I have been renovating since December through June... does that count?

My kitchen had a horrible layout. Exterior door to deck (to right of the stove) breaking up counter space. Fridge against a load bearing wall that will come down. Sink and dishwasher will also move. Who wants to look in a mirror while at the sink?

Also had flourescent lights in the kitchen. Ugh.

{{gwi:1849103}}

Demo load bearing wall, replace with LVL beam.

{{gwi:1849104}}

{{gwi:1849105}}

Note the location of the two double-hung windows. Patio door going in where those are.

{{gwi:1849106}}

And on the other side, a double hung window to replace the old exerior door. The kitchen sink will be relocated under this window. Also exposed the wall where the plumbing lived, demo'd the soffits. Had to move part of the vent stack as they hid it in the soffits.

{{gwi:1849108}}

Plumbing roughed in.

{{gwi:1849109}}

{{gwi:1849110}}

Can't see it here but I had the entire ceiling re-hung, taped and mudded. It was old popcorn ceiling that needed to go. Also had ceiling and wall electric roughed in and then had the same guy hang, tape and mud these walls. Drywall is one of those things I will always sub out.

{{gwi:1849111}}

After I painted the walls I was free to continue the hardwood floor install.

{{gwi:1849112}}

Then the electrician came back and we turned on the recessed lights.

{{gwi:1849113}}

And then yesterday the cabinets went up!

{{gwi:1849114}}

{{gwi:1849115}}

{{gwi:1849116}}

{{gwi:1849117}}

Undercabinet lighting and in cabinet lighting (on those uppers where glass will be) still to come. Still deciding on the countertop. Any suggestions?

{{gwi:1849118}}

Toe kick and matching crown molding have not been installed yet. Microwave going up this weekend. Have to change the swing on the fridge doors. Have to order and install island cabinets and then hang up sink and island pendant lights. And decide / install backsplash.

Also need to extend the deck so that I don't fall to earth after going through the patio doors. This kitchen is on the 2nd floor.

(What is CRAZY is how much my kitchen is starting to look like inkycrab's (above)).

Inkycrab's kitchen:

Identical layout and I have the same size island coming...

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Wow, that is very close! Make sure you post again when it's all done so I can see it. Did you get similar hardware too?

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Congrats to everyone on their progress--there are some awesome kitchens going in! My plumbing is being hooked up as I type and I've already started loading stuff back in. I'll take pics once I get the plywood & blankets that are protecting my island removed.

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

catamount90 - it's looking great! That is so funny how it looks so much like inkycrab's kitchen!

Patti

• afr66
    15 years ago

Bellsrus, our house is 1890 and it seems none of the previous owners bothered to remove old ceilings or floors before "upgrading". No wonder there was a dip in the kitchen floor!
    Flooring guy dropped off our plank flooring to cure today and granite guys said they will come Tuesday to put in counters. We are really picking up steam now!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

1890! No wonder you had so many layers! My dad was born in 1895 (he was 65 when I was born; died when I was 4).

You sure are moving along quickly! I'm just hoping our house is done when the movers show up here 2 weeks from today!

Patti

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Catamount90, What species of wood and what color/finish is on your gorgeous hardwood floors. I just love your new kitchen so much.

Everyone's renovations are amazing. Thanks for giving me ideas. One day, I hope to have a kitchen I am so proud of to share. I do love my new LG Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator and my beautiful solid wood table with the wheatback chairs in a cherry finish. But the rest of my kitchen needs a lot of work especially the floor.

• catamount90
    15 years ago

Lynn2006, thank you very much for the compliments! I'm a single guy doing a lot of this by myself as I go so it is taking a longer than I had hoped. I buy what I can, wait a few months, repeat.

Anyway the floor is prefinished 3/4" x 3.25" Red Oak called Long Island Red Oak by Mohawk. Not terribly expensive.

Inkycrab, I have not ordered hardware yet but I really like your pulls. Can you tell me where they are from? I have to decide on an island too. I'm thinking that 4' x 3' is about all I have room for.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

The pulls are Hafele 11795630. My pics stink but they're 5" long and have a flattened area in the middle instead of the traditional arc. I got them through my cabinet shop for less than $7 each.

• catamount90
    15 years ago

Thanks I'm going to look into those. I was thinking knobs at first but I like the way yours look!