SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Am I the only one who doesn't like french doors?

annkh_nd
10 years ago

Our kitchen is a U, with the fridge at one end. It is a 25-yr-old top freezer, over 25 cu ft, which is of course is not optimal, but it's a single door that opens toward the kitchen. It is convenient for taking things out and putting away (there's a long counter right next to the door opening).

At some point we need to replace it. I would like a bottom freezer, single door, but the largest size standard depth I've seen is 22 cu ft. We have two teenaged sons - that is no going to be big enough for us! Of course there are dozens of french door models.

It just seems to me that french door is much less convenient. Not just the issue of having to open both doors to see everything - if I have a pile of groceries on the counter, I would have to go around the open door to put anything away. Conversely, if I'm taking something out to put on the counter, I again have to go around the door. Standing to the side of the fridge, opening the door, and grabbing what I need (or putting away) without having to move or reach seems far more efficient to me.

What am I missing? Am I the only one that longs for a single door, bottom freezer bigger than 22 cu ft?

Comments (24)