SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

Ideas for Where to Move First Floor Bathroom?

makeithome
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

In the pursuit of eventually transforming our humble little cape code into our dream home, I am attempting to outline a detailed house plan that my husband and I can follow. I want to plan things so that we set reasonable goals, we can work through necessary and logical phases, and avoid making hasty, stop-gap changes in the meantime to "hold us over." I realized after talking to some great people in the kitchen forum that I was cannibalizing our efforts to create the home we want by always wanting to buy things to "hold us over." I am now seeing that, most of the time, living with what you currently have for longer, and saving more money for the things you REALLY want creates less waste and a more satisfying outcome... so I am trying to follow that mantra by planning ahead and taking the time to research and discover the things that I truly want to do with this house.

So, I am looking at our floorplan and I am stumped as to what to do with our kitchen/bathroom situation down the road, and I would love the advice of the smart and resourceful here in the small home forum :)

Our cape is pretty traditional. There are no hallways. On the second floor we have two bedrooms, and in between those bedrooms we have a full bath. On the bottom floor (attached) we have our dining room, a really long/beautiful/awkward sun room, a living room, a den/office/3rd bedroom, a kitchen, and a very (VERY) tiny half bath.

The half bath is great for function but I really hate the placement of it. The door opens into the kitchen, and even though I grew up in a house with that configuration, it has always bothered me. I hate having a toilet so close to where I prepare our food. Ideally, I would love to get rid of that bathroom, and eventually create a small pantry and an alcove there to place the fridge, and then run the countertop (where the fridge currently is) all the way to the wall. Removing that bathroom and putting the fridge/pantry there should buy me at least another foot of space, which would then give me the ability to put a double sliding door on the outside wall out to the deck, replacing the current steel door and small window.

The question is... where do I put that half bath??? I need it, but I have no idea where I could put it. Thoughts???

Here is a link that might be useful: House Layout

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!