SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimbo_1

My Earth Sheltered Guest House Design - Feedback?

Jimbo_1
10 years ago

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.

The back story: I am not an architect, but I love architecture. I love classic, timeless style. I am also more than a little obsessed with earth sheltered construction. That would seem to many to be a contradiction, and I can see that side of the fence. Many earth sheltered homes turn out as cold, ugly eyesores that evoke memories of bunkers, bomb shelters, strip malls, motels, or basements.

For me, earth sheltered homes evoke feelings of warmth, coziness, security, seclusion. I love to read about them, walk through them, study them, feel them. I sketch them constantly, make models of them, plan them meticulously. They are my Mash Potato Mountain (anyone? anyone?).

My wife HATES earth sheltered homes. She has said, in very clear terms, that there is no way she would ever live in one. The only way I could get her (hypothetical) approval for an earth sheltered building would be for a guest hose that she couldn't see from the main house. She thinks we were speaking hypothetically at the time, but I of course had to design one for fun.

So here it is. For your consideration: my concept for a simple, small (Construction: dry stack, surface bonded block walls, glulam beam ceiling, ICF entry walls.
Insulation: PAHS polystyrene/polyurethane insulating/ waterproofing umbrella
Waterproofing: Bentonite sheets, daylighted Swedish drain
Passive elements: South-facing glazing, flagstone flooring, high thermal mass construction, seasonal shading (e.g., wisteria, honeysuckle), earth tube air exchange, solar chimney.

Style: Brick and Stone Neo Georgian Rustic? You tell me.
Your opinions? GO!

Comments (14)