SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

Small Small Kitchen update

msjay2u
10 years ago

Hey guys, A while ago I had started on my kitchen that I thought would take a month MAX. LOL stupid me...it has taken over a year. I have gotten several messages asking for updates. Some people have been following my blog and some lost the link when I switched doman names.
sooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Here is the update!!
This was going to be a Moroccan kitchen but it is the beginning of my eclectic Moroccan, Indian and country kitchen...in various stages of progress... I still have to put the Moroccan lanterns up and the flip up table...and some curtains in the bay window...

I have a lot to do yet but I figured I would give you an update. If you want to see or refresh your memory on the kitchen click the kitchen tag on my blog and you can read all about it.

That little shelf with the door was actually the window that I took out of the kitchen on the other side. I made this shelf between the studs and as you see they are not very deep. Just the right depth for a cup. I put the window on as a door. I plan to one day hang some pretty awesome cups in here....soon as I design them

That piece of carved rosewood on top came from a rosewood room divider that I have repurposed. I have pieces of it all over the house to tie everything in together. That curtain rod to hold my baskets is the less than $10 curtain rod.

{{gwi:2070914}}

The wall you see with the picture frame is the electrical access wall. At one time I had a fuse box there but the electricity was converted and the box moved to the basement.The panel is behind the photo. Instead of putting several access boxes for each junction box I put one piece of plywood. Also I got that photo made at Walmart. Funny how they won't let you copy copywritten photos in a frame but put a bunch of them together and stick one of your self in there and they don't have a problem. LOL. There is a reason why they don't call that store smart-mart.

The clock came from my neighbor Louise. I can not count how many times I fussed her out for climbing a ladder to change the time for daylight savings. YOU JUST DON"T DO THAT when you have a neighbor who will do it for you! The sun goddess came from the Dollar store and so did the recipe for an amazing woman. Leaning on the floor is the table. I am going to put a bar-top gloss coat on it and it will go on the wall there to hide that bottom access panel. The pollen is too thick to work on the table outside ...although I can probably do it in the basement and let it dry for however long it takes...It will store flat on the wall and when the kids come over you can flip it up to be a table. Neat huh? I got that idea off Gardenweb from Momma Goose

This is my picture window or bay window. I removed two widows and replaced them with this one. This widow is the reason I renovated my whole house. It was the snowball effect. I purchased a pot rack years ago and it did not fit in the kitchen. I tried to sell it dirt cheap but no one wanted it. I refused to give my brand new Cuisinart rack to Goodwill so I stored it for about 4 years. Now I am able to hang it. whoooo whoooo.

I have baskets on the less than $10 rod. I still have my handmade door handles on these doors. I plan to repaint them though. Got something similar yet totally different in mind.

{{gwi:2070920}}

Here is a close up as to what is going on in that window.

This wall was a disaster. First off when I ordered the cabinets I didn't order enough so I made a microwave shelf to go in the blank because I could not see me forking over another penny for a cabinet. As it was the guy marked them down, gave me credit for a ding here and there, and then gave me a Vets discount. I was literally counting pennies to pay him LOL. I could hug him for all the advice and support he game me!! Shout out to Randy at Bargain Warehouse!!

Now look under the microwave...what do you see?
{{gwi:2070923}}

look closer...see it yet?

CLOSER...

I spent a lot of time repairing the chinking in these logs and painting them so they could look decent yet no one even notices them. tsk. tsk. tsk.

Okay so there is a small hallway between the kitchen and the mudroom. I used it to make my plate cabinet using the screen door I took off the house and more between the studs shelves. On the other side of that short hallway is my basement where I painted a Hamsa. A Hamsa is my protection against evil behind ppl who may come in my house stabbing me in the back while they are smiling in my face and offering me rat poison cookies. LOL Not that I have anyone like that visiting me...its just in case...

{{gwi:2070926}}

and yes I painted that!

And now we get to the wall where the window was removed! So what you are seeing here is a wall I had a guy cover with cement to look like a gray brick wall. It is sealed so it can be cleaned of grease. I have my stove now properly vented to the outside of the house, My rosewood trim on the rangehood and knick knack paddy whacks all over

{{gwi:2070930}}

TO recap...before and afters side by side:

The corner where I took that useless cabinet down. There was no way anything can fit in that corner cabinet this is also where I removed the widow on the left. I put a bakers rack with all kinds of kitchen utensils on it, installed shelf on the wall for my spices and a wall shelf for steak sauce, olive oil and crap like that

{{gwi:2070934}}

And now folks here are the before and afters

This photo shows three transitions. The kitchen started off beige, then blue then yellow then I took out the window added a stone wall, moved the stove and fridge and painted it tan. This group of photos is of the same wall

{{gwi:2070935}}

I had to move the stove to the other side of the kitchen so I can have ventilation

Since I removed a window I changed the double windows to a garden window. LOVING IT. Notice the screen door in the hallway...talking about up-cycling ...it's my plate closet

{{gwi:2070936}}

I am still not finished

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog: A City Girls Country Dream

This post was edited by msjay2u on Mon, May 13, 13 at 19:16

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville