SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Good News for My Grandson

paintingfool
14 years ago

At least I think it is good. As you know I have been so worried about my nine year old grandson. We thought he might have Tourettes Syndrome. He had outbursts - hollering, cursing, leg shaking, head jerking - you name it and it seems he exhibited all of the symptoms. But it came on so quickly. The blood work he had done showed he had an extremely high amount of strep. Strep can causes problems in the brain in which the brain tries to fight off the infection but ends up fighting itself. This is very rare and not everyone who has strep has these symptoms. I feel it might have been something to do with the flu shot he had just several weeks prior to exhibiting the symptoms. He had never had a flu shot before.

He was treated with antibiotics and the symptoms have disappeared for now but anytime he gets sick with an infection they will probably reappear. He just had his blood work again this week and will have to have it again in four weeks but it looks as though he had P.A.N.D.A.S. That is Pediatric Autoimmune Neurophysiciatric Disorder Associated with Strep. There have been cases where the child went a year before being diagnosed. Once the antibiotics were given the child's symptoms disappeared. We don't know what the future holds but I think a lot of prayers have been answered. Thanks to all of you who helped with your prayers.

I am also thankful for the internet because that is where I first heard of PANDAS. The Pediatrician believed he had Tourettes and the Neurologist also said he had Tourettes. My daughter cried for days. I cried but I stayed on the Internet night and day reading everything I could. I saved that PANDAS sight and forwarded it to her. Luckily for us the doctor had a blood test and MRI done and apparently knew about PANDAS and was very happy to give us the news right before Thanksgiving that it was possible that he had this strep problem. The blood test this week seems to confirm it.

I won't go into great lengths about this but if you won't to see what the antibiotics did for one little boy, go to YouTube and type in Today Show Saving Sammy.

It is one o'clock in the morning and I need to get to sleep, talk to yall soon

B

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz