SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

frog pond

nicethyme
12 years ago

I had the good fortune of getting some nice glass tables from craig's list and am starting on the side table. I had some ideas while doing the last one and one of the owners of the Ciel gallery had asked if I might do another for their spring show... sooo

my hope is to create an illusion of depth by marrying several layers, ending up with 4 layers of glass, starting on a mirror. I want to have fish and frogs breaking through the surface... so I made a design to have one of the fish with its head up and a floating frog with head and arms up and a jumping frog with its head and arms going in. then I have one frog climbing out with just one foot in...

I had to do the design twice because the 1st try I had all the shadows equal (I was trying to cheat) but hated it,,, so I did a new tracing and placed the shadows according to how deep each thing was.

the bottom mosaic built on mirror will be epoxied to the bottom of the glass table top then I will mosaic the top of that. I am using a 2 part clear marine epoxy that has been well tested for clarity in mosaics and it's thick enough that it doesn't flow. My thought is that if I trap any bubbles,, it would be fine because its supposed to be water!

The table top is 1/4 and I checked to make sure the glass will look congruent when on top and bottom, they need very little overlap, about an 1/8 inch

I'm trying to finish my dolphin thingy before I go any further on this. but I did get the mirror made already, I decided I should get it professionally cut so the edges would be polished and sealed $$

Comments (106)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville