SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to repair torn lace panel curtains?

I made the mistake of washing some full length lace window panels that had discolored from, I thought, sun and rain when the windows were accidentally left open. I had made the panels myself from yardage bought at a high end fabric store. They look just like handmade bobbin lace so were a tremendous find, though a very expensive fabric. Everyone who has seen them has asked where I found antique handmade lace curtains! I made them about 20 years ago so I doubt I could find anything similar now. They were not easy to sew in the first place. I had to put a sheer solid facing on the rod pocket and hem and sew through tissue because my machine did not want to sew the open texture.

They now have little tears in many place at the smallest weakest points. Mostly at the parts that had been discolored, 2/3 of the way down. I thought of mending them by hand with fine crochet cotton but it would be many, many, hours of work.

I thought of maybe fusing them with a sheer fusible interfacing (if there is such a thing) to a ready made sheer panel. But how would I fuse something that is "porous", so to speak?

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!