SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

Here we go again! Curb appeal/Siding :)

enigmaquandry
13 years ago

So I know I've put you through my curb appeal trials in the past but I think I'm really making some progress lately!

I think our project this summer will be (yay!) re-siding the house! Ours will not last much longer and I have an intense hatred for it so I'm really hoping this is the year it will go away!

I'm sure you may remember my anguish over either vinyl, wood, brick or fiber cement to replace with...well we've had quotes for brick and wood and they're too high for us. Fiber cement is still high but through a lot of research I'm just not comfortable with it. I think it's probably a good product but it has issues around here with our weather, contractors have warned me about it.

Hence we have 98% decided on vinyl shakes...

Yesterday my husband and I were walking and playing "guess the siding" in some of the nice neighborhoods around us. Finally we got to one of my favorite houses ever. It's a beautiful house with a birch tree out front and beautiful dark blue shakes. I was thinking that I really wished I could afford siding like that and then I realized it was VINYL. This is HUGE since I really pay attention to houses and I've been looking at this house for years on walks and I never suspected a thing. I brought my friend by (also an admirer of the house) and she said it's too bad I couldn't afford wood shakes like that house...I guess that clinched it for me :) I couldn't believe how genuinely authentic they looked...even to me, and I'm the queen of hating anything faux (though it's often what the ole budget requires).

I'm thinking of Certainteed since I think that's the brand they used, (I don't like the really ribbed looks, highly textured, faux weathered colors or the fake "hand split" looks. I like the MOST subtle profile possible because that's how I think most painted shakes look around here).

Anyway, now the only decision left is color! Our roof is a very assertive and very dark brown with almost a little purplish tones to the darker bits. These are some sketches I've done and I'd love a little feedback on what works and what doesn't :)

This is how our house looked a few days ago...

From Apr 5, 2011

This is an option in white (please note all the improvements are virtual...just things I'm thinking of :)

From Apr 5, 2011

grey...

From Apr 5, 2011

blue

From Apr 5, 2011

yellow...I wasn't as careful with this one.

From Apr 5, 2011

I'd really love to hear some opinions, I'm terrified of making the wrong decision since it can't be painted!

Thanks oh so much :)

Comments (20)