SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thrills

Breakfast nook help

thrills
11 years ago

I could really use some help with our breakfast nook. Here are some pictures:

And a picture of our kitchen as seen from the breakfast nook:

As you can see, we have this dark built in and cabinetry and then lighter wood bannister and molding throughout the house. We have tried a maple rectangular table with X shaped legs with two additional chairs but my no one liked this this set up. Getting into and out of the bench seating was uncomfortable. My two teenagers and DH are tall and they avoid sitting on the bench if at all possible; it is just too small and uncomfortable. I also did not care for the light table in the nook area. Finding a table in a matching color locally is very unlikely as we do not have many options here. This has me considering a black table.

Removing it is not an option at this time (although this is my secret desire!).

I am thinking of a black, oblong table around which we can put three chairs so that only one person has to sit on the bench at any given meal. I also don't know what to do for cushions on the benches. As the benches have flip up storage, when I use a long cushion, accessing the storage is cumbersome. I currently have long cushions designed for outdoor benches as it was hard to find cushions narrow enough. And I would love ideas for wall decor to replace our periodic table (!) and fit in over the stairs.

The floor in the bench area measures 42 inches by 72 inches.

The wall is pale grey; it doesn't seem to come through very well in teh pictures.

Any thoughts appreciated for finding a table & comfortable chairs plus ideas for decorating the walls.

Comments (21)