SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleur222

tears today

fleur222
14 years ago

After finally deciding on painted rather than wood kitchen, I keep finding myself not ready to place this order for the cabinets. ( I'm still deciding between 2-3 paint colors, and would like to choose my countertops first too, but doubt that will happen.) Now I am rethinking the layout because it was such a compromise for me. I do not like a boxed in feeling.

The new layout will give me much more cabinetry and countertop, and be new but it is still small. It is essentially a 9 x15 space with a U shape and a small peninsula at one end of the U. Problem is the "work triangle" is at the other end with only about a 4 and 1/2 isle.

It is a huge improvement from the old 1950's cape kitchen, as that amounts to an L shape with only 15 linear feet! I should be happy just to remodel, but I am afraid it will feel crowded, and surrounding the kitchen there is such open space that it is frustrating. I have had more than one person look at it, and to use another area or take down a load bearing wall seems to only give minor improvements at great cost or cause other problems.

Neither my DH nor I want to stay in this home for good, but our children are happy with the neighborhood and friends. Youngest one 11 yo. We have made other improvements and the rest of our home does not feel 1950's at all. I guess if I can live with the old one, I will adjust to the new, but I want to be happy about it.

To further complicate things... we do have family visiting from far away this summer and I know that we would love to at least have the cabinets and countertops in by then so I would say the order must go in today or tomorrow if to give it enough time.

Any thoughts on it all? I thought about uploading a layout, but that is another thing to learn and I am running out of time.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022