SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xena45

small house layout - kitchen location/remodel

xena45
14 years ago

Okay. I've posted before about this kitchen, but I've had a totally new idea, and I'm interested in your opinions, oh Wise Kitchen Experts! This is going to be pretty long, so I thank you in advance for your input!!!

This is a small (approx. 1100 sf), 2br/1bath, 1958 ranch, with an odd floor plan. The floorplan is a square, instead of a rectangle, and two rooms have "sunken" floors, which are shown below in blue. (all the rage in 1958!) The square floorplan creates a difficult central space, which is currently the dining room. It is essentially a large hallway with a table and chairs.

Here's the current floor plan (I'm sorry; it's probably bigger than it should be)

The living room and bedrooms get very nice light, with their southern and western exposures. The dining room, kitchen, and sunroom are pretty dark. Ironically, the sunroom (eastern exposure) is the darkest room of all, and also functions like a hallway and a place to store junk.

The sunroom is unused now, and a waste of space. It is behind the garage, and faces the neighbor's house, and sometime soon, the driveway will be there. There is a 30" roof overhang, making the space darker still. There really is a window between the dining room and sun room, and if the door is open while I'm laying in bed in the master bedroom, I can look all the way through the dining room, that window, through the sunroom, and into the neighbor's kitchen window - which also means that they can look back!

The current kitchen is original, and the "U" is only 32" wide, making it difficult for my husband and I to share the space. There is hardly any counter or storage space, and I'd love to have patio doors with access to the back yard. There is also no dishwasher.

One of the things I really like about the kitchen now is that there is a window above the sink and I can look out a the large back yard while I do dishes.

Between the sunroom and the dining room, there is so much wasted space in the current floor plan, and it's dark.

My newest idea is to move the kitchen into the sunroom, and move the dining room into the existing kitchen, like this:

This would involve no structural changes to the house, and the kitchen would actually seem much bigger than it does now, I think. The counter top with the sink would seem like 36" on the kitchen side, but only 30" on the "bar" side (because the floor height is different than in the kitchen), so the penninsula would seat like table height for people sitting. The cabinets there would only be 30" tall, so we'd have to get a dish drawer instead of a full sized dishwasher, but I'm okay with that. There are only two of us.

Two doors would be removed(to the garage and living room). We hardly use them at all now, and they make the sunroom practically unsable anyway, because there are so many doors in a small, narrow room! And once the new garage is built in the back yard, we'd never used that garage door anyway. The double doors to the living room are more of a hassle than anything else. I would put skylights above the kitchen, for more light. And big sliding patio doors would be put in the new dining/sitting room/office. (because we don't "dine" all that often.)

I'm concerned though, that the kitchen would then be on the side of the house, and wouldn't look over the back yard. Is that weird?

Here are a few other layouts that I like pretty well:

What do you all think??? Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (15)