SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_ellen

Roof options over wood porch/deck

katrina_ellen
13 years ago

Hi All,

young-gardener had a post regarding entryways for a SH. I always wanted an entry to do something with - but my door enters directly into my little 15' x 11' living room. Then it came to me that I could do something with the wood deck that is built in the front of my house. Its just a narrow deck that was built up almost flush with the front door and is about half the length of my little 784' house. One big consideration is that the deck is built flush to the front door, it is a hip style roof on a ranch style house. So theres not much headway to have something that is very sloped. We get a lot of snow, rain here so it would be nice to protect the wood deck, also to have some shelter getting into the house to create more of an entry, and I wouldn't feel like I am on display in my living room with the additional shelter. Any suggestions you have tried or know of? I thought of an awning. My house is not fancy but any means so something that is fairly basic, but would add to the curb appeal because it would take away from the shoe box effect of the house. It would need good drainage though and that is where the problem lies because of the narrow head room area. I will have to measure when I get home and see how much headway there is. Are aluminum awnings tacky? My neighbor has one but she is in a pretty old home, my was built in 1958. Any help is much appreciated. I posted on the porches and decks forum but don't know if I will get any responses. Thanks very much!!!

Comments (5)