SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clinresga

Task lighting for island: best light source?

clinresga
15 years ago

We're coming down the home stretch for planning (thus the flurry of posts from me). Here's another one:

We will have a large L-shaped island as the main work area for the kitchen. It's about 4 feet wide, with the "long" leg of the L about 12 feet long from end to the corner, and the short end about 7 feet from corner to end.

My issue is light source. I need good task lighting. Since obviously I can't use UC lighting, I am depending on pendants over the island. We are debating either 4 or 5 fixtures. If 5, one would be a large decorative fixture and the others smaller pendants.

What's considered the best source of light? Seems like my choices would include:

1) standard incandescent bulbs

2) incandescent reflectors (I think they are called R20, R30 etc--forgive my total lighting ignorance): either flood or spot

3) halogen reflectors (PAR20, etc?): again, flood or spot

4) low voltage halogen

I assume that a fixture rated to use #1 (i.e. labelled "use up to 60W bulb") could also use the proper size and wattage of #2 or #3.

They need to be dimmable and I'm not a fan of fluorescents, and am not even sure if there is such a fixture using fluors.

Goal of course is good bright but not overly "spotty" lighting. Glare is a concern as we're using white Calcatta Gold marble for counter.

Also: what about height above the counter. It's funny, I'm happy delving into detailed specs for appliances, cabinets, etc but lighting intimidates me. I can't figure out those charts of foot-candles and stuff that I am supposed to use to find out how to space lighting.

Help, obviously, is appreciated.

Comment