SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Wing Chair - Completed - DIY Upholstery

Laurie
10 years ago

I have been on a mission since October to reupholster 6 pieces of furniture in my home. Each piece has taught me a lot and I hope someone else might be inspired to give this a try!

My recent piece is this wing chair. We purchased it in 1987 along with the sofa. I have already recovered the sofa and now the old chair fabric is fresh and new as well. The 26 year old navy fabric was very faded as you can see from the pictures. I had also replaced the seat foam insert.

This was my first experience with a box seat. My other projects had knife edge seats. It was a challenge for me (& my little Singer Featherweight sewing machine) to maneuver each 90 degree turn including the welt cording. This box seat is shaped like a T, so that added extra turns : (
When finished, I ended up doing some hand stitching with a curved needle to close and neaten up some of the "missed" areas that I could not do neatly with my machine.

I have one more chair to do and then I will be done with all 6 pieces of furniture. It was my grandmother's chair.
Does anyone know what is the name of this type of chair (last picture posted)?

BEFORE

AFTER

IN PROGRESS

Below is my last piece : )
What is this type of chair called?

Comments (40)