SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

I've mentioned it enough-time to post

Iowacommute
11 years ago

Hi everyone-I posted another plan (a very wonderful and well laid out plan, but it was 1500 sqft plus we wanted to finish the huge loft space and the basement. So yeah it was going to be over 4000 sqft).

I drew that wonderful house in Google SketchUp, and I started going through it and thought "How am I going to clean all of this?" I had a couple of cleaning jobs in college so I'm pretty fast, but with a toddler (she'll be 2 on Friday!) I get my fill of cleaning pretty fast (I'm a SAHM).

So DH and I went back to the drawing board. I have fallen in love with this plan. It's called Deer Run from Southern Living Magazine.

I don't know if it's because of that charming picture, but I adore this house. I have also done this in SketchUp, and sure enough I can fit everything in the kitchen (which was my main concern). I moved a couple of things like putting in a french door where the closet is in the bedroom on the main floor. The closets will also be floor to ceiling in lay cabinets. My in-laws have these in their 150 year old farm house, and I adore them. The bath on the main floor will have a big curbless shower instead of tub, and the W/D will go in there (it will be recessed into the cabinet closet space in that bedroom which will be ours).

I also like this house because the other room and bath are upstairs. We won't build this for a couple of years yet, so hopefully I'll feel better than having my kiddo up there by herself. When she's in middle/high school though I figured she'd thank me for the privacy.

We plan on screening in the front and back porch. Since we'll be in NE Iowa we're going to have a detached garage next to the house (on the side of the LR) with a screened in breezeway. My great aunt had a screened in breezeway with roses climbing all over it so that's probably where that fascination came from.

I'd like to hear any comments anyone has on the house. We have lived in a house smaller than this. Our first house was an 850 sqft three bed/1 bath ranch with an unfinished basement and no garage. It wasn't laid out very well and for the better part of a year one of my friends and her two middle school aged kids lived with us. It was cozy.

Our house now feels so spread out (it's around 1800 sqft), and I just want something smaller like our first house). I like this small plan because it looks like it has charm and history built into it. A new 'old house' I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Run House Plan

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert