SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

If it weren't for GW...

ayerg73
11 years ago

I've been watching my kitchen develop and am so excited about how functional and beautiful it will be. I makes me appreciate all the wonderful advice I've gotten from the amazing people here.

I began to think about my preconceived ideas when I started and realized just how much I changed my kitchen because of this forum.

Am I the only one that has changed everything that much? I thought it would be fun to see how everyone else had morphed their plans because of this board.

If it weren't for GW...

I wouldn't have gotten a custom quote because I would have expected it to be too expensive.

I would have been afraid to do painted cabinets because I thought they wouldn't look warm.

I would have been afraid to put wood floors in the kitchen.

I wouldn't have done 2 different finishes thinking it would be too much.

I would have never dared to have soapstone because I didn't know enough about it.

I would have an ugly air gap in my beautiful new island.

I would have had a giant desk taking up 1/4 of my cabinet run because I didn't realize there were other options for that weird space.

Thank you, guys!

I'd love to hear how you changed your plans because of the awesome posters here.

Comments (40)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wouldn't have moved my microwave from a visible place in the kitchen, into an out of sight place in my peninsula.

I wouldn't have decided to replace my kitchen window over the sink, which I never liked, with something counter height.

I wouldn't have had the courage to make my own butcherblock countertops.

I wouldn't have discovered Houzz and the b'zillions of pics that are helping me design my porches and patios. Thank goodness it takes me forever to pay for something, so I have the leeway of changing my mind another b'zillion times!

I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing my mistakes if it weren't for the humor and empathy with which they're addressed!

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Well, I "finished" my kitchen five years ago, but because I just found the backsplash (which precipitated a redo of a couple of cabinets and some work on the drawer glides, as well as now a bathroom redo in the works, and a couple of other projects-funny how quickly it snowballs) I have been reminded constantly over the past few weeks just how much the kitchen forum and other garden web spots (especially appliances and baths) have influenced my choices and encouraged me to consider things differently. The other thing this forum does is make available a huge amount of experience from pros and amateurs alike, so when a seemingly insurmountable problem arises there are people who can help.

The most recent was that someone responded to my plea for sources of the tile I had found but a portion of which had been discontinued. Her advice led to a Canadian company who had something similar enough that we ordered it and can make it work.

The list of ideas straight from GW is lengthy and includes everything from the apron front sink, to Tapmaster, neverMT, butcher block counter tops, full extension, soft close, custom quotes, wood floor in the kitchen, advantium,vent-a-hood, all drawers all the time, and so on.

The main thing I love about the forum is whatever it is that makes it possible to drop in with some crazy question on literally ANY issue big or small,and find enough people to answer to make a difference. The other thing I absolutely love is that the forum empowers and encourages homeowners to ask contractors, vendors, subs etc informed questions so that the homeowner gets what they want in the end. It's not unlike having a fairy godmother to help make your dreams come true.

Thank you GW :)

PS I would like to let it be known that it only took a couple of years away from the forum to stop wanting to introduce my husband as "DH"

• Related Discussions

The Internet!

Q

Comments (33)
    This headline of course is an attention-grabber: "Using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer." However it is true that our behavior can influence our health, and I am sure that people (esp the young 'uns) spending hours on the Internet is going to have long-term effects on their health. It is a giant experiment on them, since obviously this is not something we have data on. The rays from the computer are bad on the eyes and on the brain. There is sitting still. But esp the loss of contact. No way that having a million"friends" on Facebook has the same effect as friends in real life. Researchers have done studies and proven (as if common sense wouldn't indicate this) that interaction with people in the real world has a beneficial effect on our immune system. So no doubt in 20 years we will have the results of this giant experiment. Kinda like cell-phone use. The credible evidence (my judgement)is that there is cause for caution. I can imagine in 20 years, "Oh, gosh, we're sorry to tell you that of all you people using cell phones, some 20% are going to get a brain tumor." gee too late now. However, the Internet does provide us with an inexhaustable opportunity to educate ourselves. And to recieve support. Like anything else, it can be over done. Here is a link that might be useful: effects of overuse of Internet
    ...See More

Need help picking a kitchen faucet

Q

Comments (3)
    My choice was along the lines your taking, with narrowing that selection to a styling that was appealing, had a durable finish and worked towards the direction we were taking our kitchen design. In regards to the finish, most manufacturers are utilizing a PVD technology that have high hardness, high resistance to abrasion and high resistance to chemical attack. I also noted from members on a few of the boards the high marks in areas given to certain manufactures. For me, that was down to three, possibly four faucets. What eventually won out in my selection was price and opportunity, which ended up being a brand new Grohe Ladylux Cafe, in the brushed stainless for ~$250 delivered.
    ...See More

Thankful For This Forum

Q

Comments (7)
    Sorry Honorbiltkit - I disagree with your words "mean" and "uncivil." The OP led with: "Still new here and looking for some expert advice :) We are thinking of putting an offer on the house we want - 1907 Old Portland / Foursquare with a really strange kitchen - so whether or not we make the offer kind of depends on what I can do with the kitchen as it stands." The GRP wrote: "If you are looking at a house like that and starting off by saying the range "can't be moved," then I'd run away as fast as possible. The layout is completely dysfunctional. There is no landing or prep space, traffic runs right in front of work, and sorry, that oven is tiny. I have a 27" right now and I find it completely inadequate for baking--the air circulation is terrible. I've had ranges with no landing space before and ended up putting hot pans on the floor or burning myself when I turn around to find a spot for them. Just because somebody knows someone who knows someone who can cook a great meal in a dysfunctional kitchen doesn't mean you can, or want to. Speaking as someone who bought an old house with a hard-to-fix dysfunctional kitchen." Not to keep the drama alive, but I thought it was a perfectly legitimate opinion, stated clearly and with civility. Even later, when the GRP stated that the kitchen is "tarted up" it is still a legitimate opinion on a thread posted by an OP who has not yet committed to a house. That is EXACTLY the time that I would invite lots of frank opinions. I really feel strongly this sort of discussion - exchange of frank opinion - is the real value of this forum. So I guess I will keep defending it :)
    ...See More

Why are so many old threads showing up?

Q

Comments (7)
    I think there's a certain etiquette to any online board regarding old threads that posters have to learn, intuit or research, and that etiquette differs from board to board. I'm on a fitness forum where it's considered bad form to start a new thread on questions that have been asked and answered...people are STRONGLY encouraged to search, say, "Crossfit" instead of starting a "what exactly is Crossfit?" thread when there have been, oh, 100 threads on it over the past year which they would have seen if they'd done a simple search. At that board it's encouraged to revive the thread but put in the first line of your post - OLD THREAD ALERT - then ask your question or make your observation. On this board, the etiquette I picked up at the old GW forum was, pull up old posts on your own for research but post questions in a new thread if the old post is too old. Personally I would not pull up a thread from 2010 about Lacanche and revive that thread with a new question. Read the thread and any others Lacanche-related, then start one with "I've read a bunch of old threads but never got an answer to this question...." Just me.
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    11 years ago

I wouldn't know that the air gap in my new counter is ugly. :p

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

linelle - I bet yours isn't - but the one we had in our old kitchen sure was! I wasn't a fan. Plus it fell off every time I cleaned. When I found out I could trash it, I did a happy dance! ;)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

ayerg73, they're omnipresent where I live. I kept my old DW and, despite him claiming he could do an effective loop, I didn't trust my GC enough. Maybe when I get a new DW I'll get rid of it and stick in a soap dispenser. Or not. Can't say I love the look of the dispensers either.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I would never have thought to put a range between two windows...or have a prep sink, on the island. Also would never have thought to use marble in the baking area, wood on the island and ceramic tile on the rest...three different countertops are going to be fun :)

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have heard of Modern-Aire hoods, Ikea cabinets and linoleum flooring.

I wouldn't have a narrow cabinet dedicated to cutting boards and baking trays, which has turned out to be one of the best features in the kitchen.

Most of all, I wouldn't have put primarily drawers in the base cabinets, which is THE best feature.

Thank you, GW!!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

This is a great thread!

I learned so much from GW. But best of all, I think it just made me more confident in my choices and helped me push back on the GC and architect when they said "NO ONE does that..." (like all glass uppers).

But more specifically -

I would never known about the Kohler Karbons and the 45" Stages sink - (it NEVER would have occurred to me to use 2 faucets on one large sink and that is one of the best things about our new kitchen.)

I would not have had the nerve to go for quartzite (had never even heard of it)

I would not have done slab backsplash which helped me stay true to my maxim: "use as few different finishes as possible" for a quieter look.

And totally agree with the drawers on the base cabinets comment - great utility there!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Would not have gotten rid of the air gap - didn't even know what it was for.

Would not have heard of NeverMT.

Would not have gotten an air switch for the garbage disposal.

Would not have heard of Kohler Stages sinks, which I didn't get for lack of space, but it did inform me on the (smaller) sink I did get.

Would not have considered marble, soapstone, or quartz countertops, which I also didn't get, but considered seriously and investigated.

Would not have gotten UC lights, which I love!

Might have never considered bamboo floors which we did get.

And, of course, the marvelous all-drawer lowers!

GW also helped me to totally re-think where things go in the kitchen. The old spot for dishes in an upper over the DW now has tea stuff and meds on the two bottom shelves. The dishes have moved to a lower drawer just opposite the DW on the peninsula. Much better for dishes and tea pots!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm also excited about all the drawers in my lowers. Can't wait to start using them!

But, I think claybabe and laurainlincoln hit the nail on the head - I found the courage to tell the GC exactly what I want and stand up for it.

There have been a few issues in the past week that have come up and ordinarily I would have just said "umm..ok." Nope. Not anymore. I stood my ground and spoke up. I got what I wanted and won't have that "Man, I wish I wouldn't have let him talk me out of it" feeling when all is said and done.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i would never have thought to design it myself, my way and have it turn out beautifully. i was never one for cookie-cutter anything!

• gayl
    11 years ago

I would not have soapstone
    I would not have marble
    I would not have 2 different finishes on perimeter and island cabinets
    I would not have a MIele dishwasher
    I would not have a warming oven
    I would not have mostly drawers
    I would not have all my dishes in drawers
    I most certainly would not have the kitchen I have today. And I love it!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I got a source for Soapstone and found out that I'm not the only one to like wood lowers combined with painted uppers(thanks to all who posted photos) and received great information/advice from the appliance forum regarding Miele and Kitchenaid . It took me two minutes to decide on Shiloh cabinets after seeing all the informative photos/comments posted here and one minute to decide on Philips LED light bars after inquiring in the lighting forum. I have to admit that UCL can be VERY confusing to the uninitiated. thanks GW :>

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Still wishing I found GW earlier- discovered it only AFTER our reno was underway but I did find it in time to get my lovely backsplash- growing to love it more each day. But had I found it earlier I would have:
    1-Got an under cab microdrawer and not be stuck with the micro hood my DH and GC said was fine. I would have 1200 cfm huge sucker up there instead.
    2-Might have added another few inches of crown molding to my uppers to reach the ceiling since I found out the look I love of a few inches of space before the ceiling is considered " cheap " looking by most. Who knew? I just was sick of losing stuff up so high in my upper cabs.
    3- I did try to get rid of our air gap thanks to you guys but it is against code in our town. Had to keep that ugly thing sadly:(

That's about it though- thankfully most decisions my GC and KD made were wonderful(mostly drawers and pull outs on the lowers for example) and the work they did was excellent and on time. One thing this forum did was make me greatly appreciate my GC. Any issue was fixed without complaint and swiftly. Other than a bad batch of grout, we got really lucky on all our installations and that will finally be fixed this week. Looking forward to posting final pics soon.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

...I would not be TKO

(and I would not have a kitchen in a magazine right now. That kitchen belongs to all of YOU!)

• carybk
    11 years ago

Wouldn't have LED lights, saving an inch of world.

Wouldn't have great DIY drawer dividers.

Would have been talked into a much more expensive reno (without sticking to my guns on not moving plumbing, for example).

Wouldn't have gone custom.

Wouldn't have as many lower drawers.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

We haven't done our reno yet, but when I started thinking about it 3 years ago I had thought I would keep everything the same except remove my barrier island and put in a small peninsula. I also knew I wanted more drawers since the only drawers I have now is one small one at the top of each bottom cab, replace the light box, bring the cabs up to the ceiling (8 ft ceilings), and a better range hood (current one is recirculating POC). That really was all I had in mind at that time.

However, since I discovered GW over 2 years ago, I now know I'll have lots of drawers, UC lighting, recessed fridge or counter depth framed in, speed or steam oven, MW off the counter, 36-inch induction or gas (not sure yet), maybe a few open shelves, layout based on task areas (rather than traditional work triangle), message area, coffee/a.m. area, super single silgranite sink, prep sink, frameless cabs, full-extension drawers, Blum soft close.

I was totally unaware of or had never considered: induction, enclosing fridge, all the different types of fridges, Blue Star and Culinarian, benefits of a large single sink, Liebherr, Miele, frameless cabs, batch GD, air switch, never MT, tapmaster, steam and speed ovens, importance of full extension drawers, counter height window, and MW drawer.

I had heard about some of these but thought most were only for high-end kitchens, not mine. I'm not sure exactly what we will be putting in our kitchen, but my range of options has grown exponentially thanks to GW, and I learn more everytime I visit--thank you all so much!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Just starting out, but already:

- induction range (purchased before the remodel because "old sparky" finally started blowing fuses)
    - a nice list of things to look up from this thread
    - the courage to question everything to get the best fit for our project. Already have a ton of pics of cool stuff I found after reading about related things here.

Thank you! Looking forward to the journey ahead.

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

We wouldn't have gotten floor models and warehouse sale appliances.

We wouldn't have any Miele appliances.

We wouldn't have known Perlick was a good brand for wine fridges so we could snag one at a floor model price.

We wouldn't have known there was such a thing as a positive reveal for the countertop/sink interface.

We wouldn't have gone with a local maker for our cabinets.

We wouldn't have so many drawers in those cabinets.

I wouldn't know all of the best online sources to get all our plumbing fixtures.

I wouldn't have known that the kitchen I ended up designing is mostly the OTK even though I never knew there was such a thing, and don't remember it from the movie.

Our kitchen lighting would have been totally inadequate.

We would have paid more for less. The things I learned here have saved us thousands.

• mal22
    11 years ago

Hi guys, long time lurker here that is still working on the kitchen:

Never EVER would have even considered doing no uppers or open shelves. Now, I have a mixture of both that I'm loving.

Never would have considered Ikea. Huge budget saver for me.

Never would have thought about drawers for lowers or even a pantry LOL! Having a dedicated space for food, boy I tell you is like winning the lottery LOL!

I knew I wanted a simple clean kitchen, but never would have thought about maximizing the space and improving the function of it. Just by swapping the stove to the fridge side and vice versa, my counter and storage space increased big time. Oh, and I was finally able to get a dishwasher too! Now I just need to find the instructions for it lol

And lastly, I never would have seen that gorgeous Big Chill refrigertor that somebody had. Hopefully I will be able to treat myself to that pretty jade green one within the next 6 months :)

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

We had intended getting a standard 18-inch repeat pattern of laminate countertop but because of a number of photos on the GW I chose the more unusual and less regular faux-stone 180FX instead. It has 5 feet of repeat and tremendous variation across the width. A good choice because we have so much acreage on our counters. Thanks Sasgal and her friends!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1209363517485.html

We were considering Ikea butcherblock slabs for countertop segments on either side of our range and the GW gave me reassurance on that.

I appreciated looking at GW photos of installs of hardware, pendants, and glass-fronted cabs. Chance favors the prepared mind and having these images in my mind helped me take advantage of buying opportunities when they occurred.

The GW gives good advice about cleaning and maintenance products. For example, the concept that I should think of my urethaned wood floor as being plastic-coated and needing only surface cleaning. I had not fully considered that and it's helping me maintain my oak floor better.

I love the GW's "rule of thumb" advice. Keep it coming--everybody needs to know this stuff but there's always somebody who never heard of it.

DH and I had long ago made lists and lists of what we wanted, needed, and lusted after. At the time I discovered the GW the "Sweeby Test" was becoming a standard aid in thinking and I was pleased that amid all the posh photos there was also a voice and a method in place to help a project proceed sensibly. Buehl's Read Me is the GW gem of gems and we're lucky to have it. (If you're a new lurker, don't skip it. The jewels are there, folks.)

The GW teaches about the Zones concept, which in tandem with old Work Triangle, really aids planning. It's wonderful to see someone give advice to someone else about practical life in a kitchen, with the circles and arrows drawn right on the photo. (You can hum "Alice's Restaurant" here.) It's also interesting to learn about the difference in Zone usage for different families.

If it weren't for the GW, I'd have felt less pressure to trend toward showy, trendy, and pricey stuff and to violate the budget and my family's needs and vision for the room. Nevertheless, the GW also offers some advice for fighting peer pressure--the sub-group of the GW that has found utility, quality and beauty without spending a lot and has shared the experience. When I was very frustrated by "TKO" postings I started the "Modest and Quirky" thread and found others who had a kitchen philosophy more like mine. The phrase "comfortable, authentic, unapologetic kitchens" and the idea of a functional working kitchen and a unique, personal kitchen are ones that I really endorse. I still appreciate when such sub-group postings pop up and keep the conversation practical. I cheer on those working with a humble budget and high aspirations and I hope that this message reassures you that you can ignore GW peer pressure without guilt. It's only a kitchen.

If it weren't for the GW, I would have remained naive about the cultural trends regarding kitchens. I still don't understand the impulse for designing a large, lavish kitchen for people who don't actually cook but now at least I understand that this happens. I began my project just as the economy tanked. I read discussions of whether it was possible to make a dream kitchen economically and whether to stick to the dream no matter what it cost and whether or not it was wise. I appreciate those discussions because they validated our family's need to remain sensible and vigilant.

If it weren't for the GW I would be unaware of the "kitchen is the heart of the home" concept (which I strongly disagree with but that's another story and I don't want to argue here). At least I know how other people think about things and it's been fascinating to hear and see how they act on their hopes & dreams & visions. The GW has given me a voyeur's perspective, I suppose. For an hour I live the Lush Life vicariously through these generously shared photos and discussions. After I look, I now say to myself, "That's good for you, as long as you can honestly afford it and it doesn't damage more important family values or waste resources. My kitchen's good for me and for my family."

If it weren't for the GW I would have missed out on meeting some really great artistic thinkers and reading their art commentaries. Discussions of colors, architecture, and the history of design have given me perspective on the commercial world of products and how to choose things to make a more coherent whole.

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

...I wouldn't have my cool knife pullout, or considered black toekicks, which I love.

...I'd never have known about MW drawers, and been unaware that I didn't have to live with a "ventilation" option that worked so poorly that the smoke detector went off everytime I cooked bacon.

...I would bore my friends to tears talking about kitchens, because I wouldn't have this virtual circle of friends who really do like to talk about kitchens.

...my husband would play way more Warcraft, because the main desktop would be free more often(kidding, sortof.)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I would NEVER have been able to visualize the kitchen that would work in oak-paneled and oak-floored space.
    Thank you many times a day, GWers.

Sandra

• zeebee
    11 years ago

I would not have known about so many things: Capital ranges, marble counters, big sinks, the Kohler Karbon, the importance of good ventilation, kitchen work zones (one thing to read about them, quite another to look at the layout threads and see them tweaked to perfection), the difficulty of finding the right backsplash. ;)

I would not have spent zillions (well, a lot) on kitchen books and magazines, though I don't regret a penny.

I would not have 18 books out of the library on kitchens.

I'm in the final stages of fighting through a layout, and this forum is invaluable every.single.day for me to discover that others have or have had the exact problems and got good solutions from forum members.

• ellabee_2016
    11 years ago

Without GWKF, I'd never have heard of Silgranit sinks, nor sink grids, nor been able to think through the pros and cons of single-vs.-double sink.

The one mini-renovation we've done (replacing 50-yr-old chipped and stained double sink with Blanco Silgranit 'super single') has effectively doubled the amount of working space on the stove-sink run, and together with the new touch faucet with its excellent pull-down sprayer has made it a pleasure to do prep and wash up.

The layout and work flow discussions helped me better arrange the kitchen furniture and where things are stored -- big improvements without spending a dime. Those threads have also helped me appreciate what's great about this kitchen, keeping the urge to redo at a low simmer instead of a high boil.

Hugely valuable advice has been clipped and stored from threads on regrets/mistakes to avoid, how to survive with a temporary kitchen, budgeting, record-keeping, and working with contractors -- that I know will come in handy if we're ever able to move forward with a bigger reno.

And I've learned a TON about design and finishes that has helped me know my own tastes better, as well as just being interesting and educational in its own right. Thanks to all who participate here!

• potterstreet
    11 years ago

Without Garden Web, I would never have had the guts to get honed marble countertops! I'm not a frequent poster, but I troll this site constantly. It's been a huge help during our recent kitchen reno.

Last night we had a kitchen christening and there were wine glasses allover the marble and everything wiped off perfectly! I love my honed marble and I thank you all for all of the awesome posts which helped me make an informed decision!

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

Having just begun the initial planning phases of a full kitchen remodel within a three to five-year full house remodel, I have already benefitted from GW's knowledgable, kind, and thoughtful community. I am looking forward to sharing the first layout ideas later this year and have modified my thinking a number of times already. In the meantime, I will continue to devour every layout or small kitchen or tight budget thread I see. Thank you, everyone.

Doug

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I am so so so far from having a finished kitchen. I can't even make a decision on the cabinets that I've been obsessing over for almost 4 months now. Honestly, without GW, I probably would have just signed off on the cabinets and never known better. Now I'm driving myself (and DH and the builder) nuts trying to make everything perfect. I know it will be worth it because I've seen so many beautiful finished kitchens here.

The biggest thing I've gained from GW so far is the empowerment to speak up to my builder when I don't 100% agree with something. I'm a timid person and I question myself too much so working with a builder who "does this all the time" is intimidating to me. I'm learning through the posts at GW that what I'm asking for is not crazy and not ridiculous, and I'm more confident to tell my builder exactly what I want. Thank you for all the support. :)

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well said, florantha.

I am happy to see that so many other people benefit from this forum as much as I have. I honestly can see influence of GW in most of my decisions in one way or another. This has been an invaluable resource!

• carybk
    11 years ago

I thought of some more important ones!

I would not have confidence that the inexpensive Ticor sink and mid-range faucet we picked were the right amount to spend for good quality in each.

In many cases, the detailed reading and research and evaluation of options on this site just plain led to confidence in the ultimate decision. I know why I have granite and the granite I have. And so forth. It saves so much mental energy and stress. I am very grateful to the experts on here.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

I would not have:

Thought of really seeing what we liked or didn't like about our former kitchen. Instead of "we need more counter space" or "we need more storage," we diagnosed traffic patterns and figured out our zones were really screwed up, and really watched the way we cooked. We realized that we really enjoy facing each other when we cook. Another thing was we realized how much we tried to figure out how to use one oven to cook multiple things that required different temperatures. Double Ovens!

Heard of a Silgranit II sink!

Considered all-drawers or mostly-drawers. Then when we thought about them, we made sure we measured our things and adjusted some of our drawer sizes accordingly.

Seen examples of what really works in other kitchens - gave us tons of ideas.

Gotten great layout help.

Learned a lot of the vocabulary that helps when talking to our KD, architect, even GC.

• Laurie35
    11 years ago

It taught me to question further things that I was wondering about. The appliance forum convinced me to work a 30 inch range into the design, even though a 24 inch stove had been planned initially. The Kitchen forum allowed me to brush off the criticism of the tile guy that brushed off subway tiles as "only being used in bathrooms today."

But also, for better or worse, it made me a bit defensive that I have a white kitchen. Not in real life, because I love it and it fits my house and it fits my space. But I do bristle when I read posts casting shade on white kitchens. It makes me want to say, "Just walk in my 7" x 10" shoes, and tell me that this kitchen is sterile and passe and you would do something differently." I would probably add an expletive here if it was real life, but I know it's not.

It also has given me appliance insecurity, even though I like my appliances and they were chosen with care and with full knowledge of the other options.

On the other hand, in some ways, the shade cast on white kitchens and the appliance envy has made me more confident of my choices. I am happy with a white kitchen, and frankly, in my space, anything else would be so out of character for my house and me that it would make me unhappy. Recently, there was a galley kitchen posted here with a bright yellow green backsplash. I loved, loved, loved it. It fit. It wouldn't fit here.

Same is true for appliances. I couldn't afford the appliances that others have talked about and debated. GW has let me come to grips with that.

On the other, other hand, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" I don't know whether I would have cared about many things if I hadn't been convinced by GW that I should.

But I heard the tree fall, and I'm happy for it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still be here. Bristling over the slams of white kitchens, having appliance envy, wanting to express my opinion that timeless is ephemeral, and whether something is true to the period is less important than whether something is true to your vision.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

...I would've driven my family even more crazy with kitchen details.

It's hard to know, after reading so much and seeing so many photos, how much influenced changes I made in my kitchen as I went along, since my kitchen was planned in large part before I found the forum..but I know it improved greatly after.

I know I owe the bravery to do my whole wall of burgundy to Lascatx, and my cookbook shelves over my fridge and freezer set to Trailrunner.

I think I have more drawers because of GW, and had the courage and knowledge to reconfigure my island into more drawers after using it awhile. It was definitely the forums (more than just Kitchens) to give me info on Marmoleum, Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo paint, and Waterlox. I also got lots of hand-holding and research help on getting used to my Wolf rangetop (still can't get the danged thing clean to save our lives) and getting through my ridiculous oven sagas.

I fell in love with big European ranges by looking at photos posted here, and that influenced the way I designed my stove area to look like a 'hearth' or big range, even though the ovens are on the wall elsewhere.

Mostly, the forum gave me confidence in the things I thought I wanted, so I could follow through, knowing I was doing the best I could in a kitchen for myself and my family.

• bahacca
    11 years ago

I wouldn't be getting a Blanco Silgranit sink

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I wouldn't WISH I had a Blanco Sigranite (supersingle) sink! LOL

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

drawers
    marble countertop
    rejuvination latches
    custom cabinets
    neverMT
    miele dishwasher with panel
    my sink wart will be replaced by a soap dispenser as soon as inspections are complete!

so glad i found this site while i was still early in the planning!

• total_remodel
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have ordered mostly drawers, bought a blanco sink, have a more efficient layout, or have felt as sane. Before I found this forum i thought all the obsession with my kitchen was a solitary problem, now i see its a group activity :)

• Lori Ryan
    11 years ago

I would not have asked if an obtrusive beam could be raised into the ceiling. Yay that big boy is gone from sight. What were they thinking putting up there in the first place.
    I would not have known to bring down and place horizontally my electrical outlets . They would have been right in the middle of my backsplash breaking up my beautiful subway tile.
    I would not have a charging drawer!!!
    I would not have big drawers for my pots and pans. Sooo much better than rollouts.
    I would not have known where to place my microwave. It went from over the hood to in my peninsula. Kids love it there.
    I would not have helped my friends with there kitchens and pointed them in the direction of GW.
    I would not have known about work zones which greatly helped me make decisions resulting in a very functional kitchen. Big kisses XXX
    I would not have found out about induction cooktops.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I would not have known how popular and well loved Carrera and Calacatta marble are and white cabinets. I have been exposed to more decorating options and learned so much about all the different counter tops and woods and appliances and range hoods and care of each. I would not have known about a number of products I have starting using now and have just learned a ton of information about many things. It's really been like going back to school!!! I have corresponded with some very helpful and lovely people privately that have been wonderful and offered great wisdom on a few dilemmas I have had going on. Thank you GW!

• Shira S
    11 years ago

I would not have caught (early in the project) that my hi hats were too close to where the cabinets were going to be. Its a lot less hassle to do before everything is fully painted and cabinets are installed than after!

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x