SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gneebee

under ~$1000 sewing machine for DIL, beginner sewing

gneebee
12 years ago

'Just heard from our son, in Iraq, who has agreed to go in with us to get his wife a sewing maching for Christmas. She's a beginning sewer and has been trying to learn on her mother's ancient Kenmore that keeps jamming and has no manual or instructions. The machine is probably >50 yrs old, I think. She's quite creative and has a 3 yr old daughter. Many of her friends sew and I think she'd really benefit from a decent machine. I recently purchased a combo Babylock embroidery/sewing machine and she asked if I'd sell my Bernina (which I want to keep!)

We have an awful Janome dealer in town who is basically a repairman only. When I inquired, I learned that he'll provide no classes or follow-up help.

We have another wonderful dealer in town with Babylocks, Viking, and Berninas. It's a much larger operation with sewing classes, embroidery clubs, fabric, notions, events, and on-going dealer support if you purchase from her. Then there are the Kenmores at Sears and Brothers at the department stores.

If I'm willing to spend between $750-$1000, what would you recommend from those machines? I think I'd prefer buying from the Babylock, Bernina, Viking dealer and I know Babylock provides more features for the money.... but Bernina is a solid brand.

Thoughts? Thanks ....

Comments (7)