SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Which comes first: new counters or paint cabinets?

Bunny
14 years ago

Hi, I've been posting at Home Decorating (paint color issues!) and this is my first time in Kitchens.

My house was built in 1991, a modest tract house. I have a small kitchen with lots of natural light, good layout, plenty of golden oak cabinets and white 6" tile counters and backsplash in amazingly good condition. Two-year-old real red oak floor. Newer white appliances that aren't going anywhere soon. :)

I'm in the middle of having the entire interior of my house painted. It's time to consider some affordable renovations in my kitchen. Cabinet replacement is out of the question, and even refacing is more than I want to spend. I've talked to my painter and I think painting the cabinets is my best bet, not immediately, but in the next 6-12 months, I can work it into my budget. I'd probably paint them a white of some denomination.

So, there's the white tile counter. Together with white cabs and appliances, it would be too much white. I'd like to get the counters done at some point as well.

I can't afford to paint the cabinets *and* do the counter at once. So I turn to you folks to ask which makes the most sense to do first: get a new counter (on top of old cabs that will be painted) or paint the cabs first?

Comments (4)