SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabrina_m_gw

input needed - dark cabinets in a small kitchen?

sabrina_m
13 years ago

So dh and I just bought a house and project #1 is going to be re-doing the kitchen. Here's a pic of the kitchen, taken from the dining area. I really like the style of the cabinets so they'll be staying, along with the floor and appliances (for budget reasons), but everything else will be changed.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: re-staining the cabinets a darker color, but not black. The countertop would be light, probably Silestone quarz's diana pearl, as would the wall color. The backsplash would be light tiles with dark tile accents, probably cream marble 2"x4" tiles with a border of dark glass tiles.

So...I know that conventional wisdom says that since the kitchen is small having dark cabinets will create a cave look. But I think that if I have enough light colors (ie counter, backsplash, wall) and install under-cabinet lighting, I'll be able to pull it off. I think removing the wallpaper trim will help too since it seems to chop off the height of the walls, if that makes sense. Having a light wall color extend all the way up to the ceiling will help prevent the dark cabinets from being overwhelming, at least in my head. :)

What do you think? Anybody ever try something like this?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm