SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony41

Exterior Doors / 1 year old house

tony41
18 years ago

Purchased this home from builder Aug 12-05 with 1 year builders warranty from that date. Home is 1 year old this month. Slab floor, cellulose insulation attic & walls, exterior brick. I have noticed since cool weather has arrived some of the ceiling molding has contracted ever so slightly at their joints.

BACK door frame on the same side of the strike plates has bow in it. The deepest part (1/2" between door & casing) at the strike plate area. The other side of frame only has about 1/8" gap same point. The door knob bolt only enters strike hole 1/4". Dead bolt reaches 1" 3/4" plenty to secure it shut for would be thieves.

Would it be better to add some weatherstriping along the bowed area instead of requesting a repair from builder? I'm not hip on the idea of repairman marring my door facing (of course they say it can be painted & wood filler added & after 3rd coat of paint everything back right) when I can add the weatherstrip to cover up the inconsistent gap.

The FRONT door dead bolt doesn't align correctly there-by you have to jiggle it to lock & un-lock. The door knob bolt aligns correctly. I think a repairman could address strike plate without to much surrounding damage. The gap isn't perfectly the same comparing side to side. But door seal seems to stop cold air.

Oh the joy of being a home owner!!! With a mortgage to boot!!!

Comment (1)