SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singerslew

The Ballard console is here and now I need help...

Sophie Ingerslew
13 years ago

So the console finally arrived this morning. It's big, but I am happy with it. I placed a few items I had laying around the house on it and inside just to get some ideas. I would love suggestions on how to accessorize it!

The rest of my kitchen (which desperately needs paint and a backsplash)

Comments (44)

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Try adding a nice tall thin lamp, (like the one by your window),cookbooks - stacked or laid in a fan shape, lower the picture alittle, I don't know what they are exactly but they look like concrete but have some green like moss on them. I got mine at Aurhouse. Maybe add some garden type decorations.

Please don't think I am crazy - but, just for the heck of it, turn the console around so it's open in the front - I'm just curious how it looks that way.

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

"Please don't think I am crazy - but, just for the heck of it, turn the console around so it's open in the front - I'm just curious how it looks that way."

You're not crazy.... I thought the same thing!

• Related Discussions

I have a new counch, now I need help with other pieces (pics)...

Q

Comments (30)
    I mentioned the borders to dh this morning and he likes the idea. Each of the long sides is about 14'. The shot side is about 10'. The other short side is there the 'bridge' is. I'll look at it tonight with dh and see what we can work out. As far as the layout of the living room. As the furniture is now. Looking at the back of the chairs, you are stading by the dining table and behind you, the kitchen. That opening is about 10' wide. Still looking at the back of the chairs, next to the chairs is the couch. And in front of it is the fireplace and the stairs that lead to the upstairs. The couch is about 12 feet long. I would love if it could put the couch where you could see the back, but it is just too big. We did every arrangement we could think of when we first got it so that we wouldn't have to close off the door way (the blank wall that is now behind the couch). Just to give you a little background of the house. When you stand looking at the back of the chairs, you are standing where the carport used to be. We added about 40' to the end of the house about 6 years ago, doing most of the work ourselves. So that is why the layouts ended up a little strange. The now TV area used to be the dining room and kitchen.
    ...See More

Ballards Reston Corner Console

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, Thanks for the responses. I have white trim in my family room and no black. For that price, I would not want to paint it. And I am not sure I would be happy with the results. I had a custom (no cabinets - all from scratch) EC built for my basement by my carpenter. I love the way it turned out but I'm afraid to add up all it cost between labor, supplies (custom doors), etc, and painting. It was way over the $1400. It looks great but here is something almost perfect (only the color!). I'm trying to imagine the off white color in my room. I just repainted all the trim from bright white in my liv rm and dr to linen white (to better match that decor) for a small fortune by my painter. Not sure my DH would go for that again here. Promised it was ONLY those two rooms. The fr is one big open space with my large kitchen. Lots of moulding and lots of $$$$. Aaaargh! So disappointing!
    ...See More

Please help me -- console here?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have the same situation, now that I have moved my couch away from the wall. I don't like the way the separation looks either. However, to temporarily remove the line/separation I have placed a throw over it. Mine has some fringe and it hangs about 8" from the floor - leaving it less noticeable than before. I have been looking for an antique sofa table/console with 4 legs or . . . two front legs with a solid back (so that I can place two box stools under the table). With a huge family, I need the extra seating. Also, a back to the table will also hide the lamp cords I will eventually get. Hope this helps
    ...See More

I bought the picture from C&B, now need a lamp and maybe new console

Q

Comments (16)
    I read repeatedly (from blogs, decorators, magazines, etc.) that every room needs something black. I've seen it said that black grounds the room. Whatever. I would have to see the rest of the room before saying yes/no to black. Our rooms have light colored upholstered pieces and med. wood floors. I use aqua/green/blue accents. A black piece just never looks right (to me) in our rooms. In the great room, we have a dark brown leather chair. I have a dark vintage leather case (kind of like a suitcase) on top of a cabinet in the room, a floor-lamp and a table lamp with dark bases. So you get my drift, adding in some dark pieces for contrast, but doesn't have to be black. That's what works for our house, at least. I would wait and decide on a new sofa before painting any of your present pieces. The only thing I see about your present console is it looks a tad country to me and perhaps the rest of the room isn't? By seeing just that wall I can envision a console that is a bit sleeker, yes, maybe darker in color. But I'm not sure as I don't know what the furniture in the room looks like. Great painting!! Buying one thing almost always leads to future purchases!!
    ...See More
  • yayagal
    13 years ago

Me too! Actually, if the wall art were a little lower,(about six inches above the console and to the right side then place the box of greenery to the left side with two tall thin candle sticks behind the box in different heights. Then add something interesting below the picture and you're good to go.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Does the back edge of the table top have the ogee edge on it as well? If it is flat edged on the back I think it will look backwards the other way unless you can easily turn the top around. Consoles were generally made to have the design on the front, but this one is kind of a hybrid since it has a middle shelf. As it is I don't think I would put anything inside, just on top.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes -- if possible -- have it open at the front!

Take the greenery from the top of the kitchen cabinet -- and arrange it in the long basket -- place it on the middle shelf in front of the grill -- air can still flow -- but it is slightly covered.

Add cookbooks! Add more weathered or hammered copper items -- always lovely in a kitchen!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Those are operable doors on the front of the console so I'm not understanding the reason to turn it around but from the pictures in the Ballards catalog, the ogee is on all 4 sides and it could be done. Are you all thinking the iron work needs to be behind the decorative objects inside?

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I think you probably answered this question in your first posting, but is that air vent white? It's distracting me, and I'm thinking it's not the same color as the wall. If I'm right, you should def. paint it.

What do you plan to put on the little easel? I think your display looks very nice now. I wouldn't load it up with too much stuff.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The ironwork on the front is what makes it a console, if you put it around back its ... a bookshelf. I think putting the ironwork around the back may defeat the reason you got it. Maybe not, try it and see.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I like the doors in the front. Putting them in the back would take away the reason you bought it. I would love to see distressd vases in different shapes and sizes behind those doors and in front of the vents. Move the footed bowl to the 1st shelf and put some type of decorative balls in it.

My suggestion would be the change out the picture. It does not to the console justice. Try leaning a picture on the console top to camaflauge (sp?)more of the vent.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Nice console. My first thought was that it should be turned around. I now understand that those are doors on the front, but without the scrollwork on the back, I think it looks odd with the scrollwork on the front only. Also, I think your pic needs to come down some, or at least from the angle the pics are taken it appears to be hung a bit high. I can see you have challenges with the light switch and vent. I would definitely paint the vent the same color as the wall.

I think I would try some cookbooks too if it is in your kitchen.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! So many great ideas! I have to say though that I do prefer the doors at the front. The back edge of the console does NOT have the ogee finish, so turning it around isn't really an option.

Pammyfay, the air vent is white, as is the wall. I am desperate to paint this kitchen but have struggled with choosing a color! We want to put a backsplash up before we paint, so it may be a few more months before we get rid of thite kitchen. When we do get around to painting, the vent will be the same color as the wall.

I agree the picture can stand to be moved down and to the right. Jerseygirl - you may also have a point. The console is very bold while the picture is softer in tone. I have definitely thought about changing the picture out - I just can't afford that right now.

Pammyfay - I had no plans for the little easel as of yet - I am open to suggestions : ) It is more of a copper finish and is similar in tone to the picture frame.

I am leaning towards yayagal's idea of the 2 tall candlesticks behind the greenery with something else of interest next to it. When looking at the console from my family room there is another table lamp in my line of sight. Putting a lamp on top of the console may be too many lampshades for that view.

After hearing all your ideas, it sounds like a visit to Homegoods may be in order!

• deborahnj
    13 years ago

I have something similar in my foyer and I added a floral arrangement, 1 tall lamp and a mirror. Unfortunately I don't have really good pics to show and the few I do have, I realize the mirror is not in the pic. I need to take some updated pics! The only difference between mine and yours is the fact that you have shelving. I love mine so I hope you love yours as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrought Iron Console

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deborahnj -Your console is beautiful and very nicely arranged... I love the idea of a tall lamp, but am worried whether it would work with the view from my family room... Notice the lamp in the left of the photo.

Teacats - I found this arrangement in a hammered copper basket. It's a little taller and fuller...

I know I have a lot of greenery. The whole thing is starting to look like a salad ; ).

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You need a long, low decortative box or something planted almost like a windowbox that is as wide as the vent to cover the whole part of it that sticks above the top in one shot, ideally.

• deborahnj
    13 years ago

Southern, thank you! BTW, I definitely did not pay the Horchow price for mine. I first spotted at the Horchow site but I am a member of DirectBuy so I purchased mine at cost for $700.

If you already have a tall lamp, I would try it on the console just for placement to see if you like it. If not a tall lamp, I do think you need something tall on one side to anchor the entire scape between the console and the painting. It could be tall candlesticks, a flower arrangement or a vase as shown in the Horchow pic.

Good luck and you have a beautiful home!

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I would not turn it around. That would defeat the style of the entire piece. A lamp would be nice there - forget that you can see your other lamp - you can't have too many pretty lamps!

Tuesday

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks deborahnj - and wow did you get a great deal! Your console is gorgeous!

So I borrowed the tall lamp from my kitchen ledge and put it on for placement...

Then I borrowed the candlesticks from my mantel which are too short but give you the idea.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i would probably try to pick up 2 or 3 taller candlesticks(varying hts)... i really like candle displays! i probably would swap places of the items on the shelves... put the things on the middles shelf in front of the vent and the bowl on the bottom on the L side... maybe the vent will be less distracting when you paint...right now it seems to compete with the scroll work and takes away from your beautiful console.

• teacats
    13 years ago

LOVE the lamp!! So very very pretty on the console!

Jan

• dakota01
    13 years ago

ahhh your getting there - I would put the lamp on the other side - becoz of the height it helps to "hide the wall corner".

Maybe add a little fabric table scarf to the top or to a shelf to soften the look. A decorative plate on a stand could help you hide more of your vent...

Keep going - your doing good !!!

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanie01, you are absolutely right about the fabric scarf on top of the table. The black top has been bugging me all day. I have some fabric that I am using to make drapes for my breakfast room. After they are done I will several yards leftover so I could easily make a table runner.

Here's a photo of the fabric:

Here's a photo of the console with the fabric folded on top, plant on the right and lamp behind it. Wondering if the fabric is okay or too busy...

I am thinking a solid or small scale pattern may be better.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Southernfrenchie - Your gorgeous fabric is my all-time favorite, Bosphorus Toile in the Brick color. I love it so much that I have designed our master bedroom renovation around it, and will be using it for the drapes and a few smaller accents.

I think that it would be a good choice for your console, as it vividly repeats the colors in that lovely picture. If you decide to use it, just be sure to have at least a touch of the red dresses.

When you finish your breakfast nook drapes, would you mind posting pictures?

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sable ca - thank you for your comments. I too adore that fabric : ) Mine is the the BT 128 Billiard color. I have seen swatches of the Brick and it is so rich. Your bedroom is going to look gorgeous!

I made a box pleated valance out of PF Kauffman's Queensland Crimson for the window above my kitchen sink.
    I was looking for a complimentary fabric when last year I came across the Bosporus Toile online. Fortunately the local fabric store carried it. My breakfast room is a also a sunroom, with 2 windows on the right wall, four windows on the back wall and faux french doors on the left wall. Originally I was going to make 5 panels so as to frame every other window, but after finishing 2 panels it looked too wimpy. I thought I better make a panel for each window, which meant 5 for the back wall and 3 for the right wall. I went to the fabric store a couple of months ago to buy more yardage and to my surprise the fabric was on their clearance table. Got there just in time and got a great deal on the rest of the yardage : ).

I'll post photos when I'm done, though there's no telling when that might be. You'll have to post photos of your bedroom. I can't wait to see it!

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Is the air vent's function really needed? IF not, I'd cover it up as much as possible, as it's fighting the curlicues of the iron work. Art books (tall!), fabric covered boxes (in plain colors)--anything bulky.

I don't care for the fabric, I think it's too fussy with the scroll work.

If you need the air vent to work, then I'd move the console, frankly. I think it's not displayed to its best advantage in front of the vent, and the console's not hiding the vent very successfully. Neither looks happy.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I think you may be undermining the design element of the iron doors and the simplicity of the console by adding so many textures and dark colors inside. I think a simpler, more dramatic composition is what you need.

Here's what I'd do.
    Go to the import store or similar source, and buy a really big, tall, inexpensive poster of an old black and white photo of the Eiffel tower, preferably one of the lovely atmospheric slightly sepia toned ones on a misty/rainy day. Put it in a slender black frame, and hang it to the right of center, no more that four to six inches above the surface of the console.
    Replace the fancy shade on your slender lamp with a plain ivory one of a similar shape, and set it to the left of the poster.
    Put the golden footed bowl in the center, or slightly to the left (fiddle with it until it looks right), and fill it with green apples, or wicker balls, or good artificial artichokes, or a pile of lemons, or some generous number of the same thing.
    Get some oversized white ceramic jugs, pots, and bowls, and fill the console with them. Keeping everything big and white will give it the mass it needs, allow the air to get to your return, and won't interfere with the pattern of the iron.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Right on Bronwynsmom. Very similar to my suggestions.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Can the return vent be opened on the other side of the wall? It's really distracting. It stands out right away as a "what's that" element, as it contradicts the flow of things. I don't think painting the grid will do the trick.

Beautiful console.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

(If it can go on the other side of the wall, be sure to check with your HVAC man first that it will still be able to serve its function in that location.)

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Southernfrenchie - I do believe that the Billiard and Brick names describe the same color; most outlets market it as Billiard, but Calico Corners, where I bought my swatch, calls it Brick. The fabric in your photo is identical to mine. I also ordered the Flax, but it didn't suit our bedroom. One problem I've found with this fabric is that it's rather thin and, as you found, needs considerable yardage to look rich. However, if there are too many folds, then the pattern is muted (am still using it though, lol). Now I'm looking for complementary fabrics.

Sounds like your sunroom will be stunning!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

That return vent is very important to the function of the HVAC unit and I doubt it could easily or cheaply be moved. Back when southernfrenchie was considering buying this piece, someone made the wonderful suggestion of raising it somehow so that the top of the console was level with the top of the vent. That's a more practical way to deal with the intake vent.

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

Wow, I just have to say that I'd not consider moving the return vent to accomodate a new piece of furniture. Can you put that console somewhere else and not deal with the distraction at all. The idea of raising the console up won't eliminate the vent distraction by the way, the eye just goes there, mine does anyhow!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

But it might be possible to just flip it around to the other side of that wall and patch the area. It's in such a prominent location (but that might be where it's needed). I agree that regardless of where the top breaks it is too distracting being that it's right in the middle of its decorative feature. I was told that I could put a console type piece in front of mine as long as it wasn't too tight to the wall and there was some open space at the bottom (it has short legs). The vent is large like yours but starts lower, right above the baseboard, and is positioned horizontally. That was ok with my HVAC man.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

That grille is most likely the return for the whole floor. If that's true, it is designed into the system, and moving it would change the flow of air, and require a big alteration to the underlying ductwork. In any case, it is not a job for non-professionals.
    Paint it the color of your walls, and leave it be!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Love the lamp and the silk arrangement together on the right-hand side! Not as keen on the fabric sitting on top of the console -- although the fabric itself is truly gorgeous!

As for the air vent -- simply add cookbooks (or any books LOL!) to the second shelf. Add a thick large book under the silk plant on the top -- and just ignore the vent altogether! LOL!

Or -- simply add lined baskets on the two shelves -- and fill them with napkins, etc. to be useful!

What vent? LOL!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Knowing how mine is constructed, my vent cover could be flipped to the other side/wall of the return box without much effort -- permitting the location were good enough to serve its function. My HVAC man doesn't have a problem with a piece of furniture in front of a good portion of mine (1/3 open at the bottom and pulled a bit away from the wall). I have no return on the second floor. It pulls air for the whole house.

I doubt she's interested anyway (or would be changing her system without a professional). It was just a suggestion and possibility, due warnings included. ::shrug::

Nevertheless, painted a bit darker or not, the curving scrollwork will still be backdropped by stripes and a big dark square block. Maybe when you're in the room (versus a photoshoot), it's easily blocked out mentally. Otherwise, I'd just move it to another location and be done with trying to remedy it. Now, if the wall could be painted a dark gray or something, it might go away enough to recede and look alright.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

This is one of the threads where the tail has started to wag the dog. If the light switch and vent were in different locations, the OP wouldn't be trying to compensate for it, but their positions at this point are a given. Most people are *not going to move utilities--thats not really providing a solution. imo.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I dropped by an antique/vintage store today and there was a console table like this but taller, larger and bowed out. Lovely piece, wish I had room for it in my house. It was only $375.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Since we're all different, I don't think it ever really matters what 'most' people would do. I would gladly like to see the vent COVER relocated if it were my home. IF that was feasible and reasonably easy to do, as a given.

As I already said above, I doubt she's interested anyway, it was just one more idea or option. People are able to choose what's right for them better than anyone else.

The easiest thing would be to just find a new home for it. It's hard to even see the scrollwork on that half and it's far too pretty a piece for that. It's really not hiding the vent if that was its purpose and it's important to be mindful of how much that vent is blocked if accessories are going to be used to accomplish that.

My own two cents.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I just came back from an overnight trip and it looks like I missed a lot while I was gone!

Sable ca- I have seen samples of the Bosporus toile that has fall colors only - red, green, gold - no blue. It's called Bosporus Red and got confused when you mentioned Bosporus Brick.

Back to the console:

Spring-meadow - while I don't like the air vent where it is either it is impossible for us to move the air vent. Unfortunately, it has to stay where it is :(.

Also, I think the vent is overemphasized in the photos. The only part of the vent that is really bothersome to me is the top 4 inches. If I could have gotten a taller console I would have, but most consoles are 30" in height. I thought I was doing well with one 33" tall. It is possible to find real wrought iron consoles that are 36" or taller, but none are at my price point. I liked this console specifically because of 1) the shape of the scrolls and 2) I thought the shelving would be nice for a kitchen area. The only part that is bothersome to me is the top 4 inches of the vent sticking out form behind the console. I am very content to camouflage the top with greenery, candlesticks, cookbooks, a runner - whatever. You guys have given me some great suggestions so far - things I would not have thought of!

So here is where I'm at. The wall and vent will get painted teh same color. The art work will probably stay, but I promise to lower it :). That specific lamp will return to its home on the ledge above my sink. I may put a similar lamp there - I'm still debating between that or candlesticks. I agree that the fabric is too busy - I like the idea of a runner, but I will probably go for a solid color.

Brownysmom - I like your idea of how to fill the footed bowl, though I think that specific bowl may be too small for the console. I also like the idea of the white jugs.

All in all, I think you guys have given me some great ideas. I'll post again as soon as I have something worthwhile to show you.

BTW, I thought she did a good job with the gap between her console and artwork...

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I'm not crazy about that fabric either - seems too heavy. I would look for something with less pattern and some fringe to drape over the edge of the console. Scrunch the fabric up - I really like the light on the right side and the greens under the lamp look good too.
    THe part of the grill that you don't care for can be fixed by slightly moving the greens over alittle.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

One of the reasons I think the air vent is obvious is it looks like it has been turned around. The vents aren't facing down. There are decorative vents available too.

Since many thought the console should be turned around and can't...there are many iron wall hangings similar to yours, even something like one of the the shelves which could be placed on the back wall and not interfere with the air return.

• donnawb
    13 years ago

I would look into a vent where the slats go across instead of up and down. Love the table.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Lovely console and perfect for the space! If you can, I'd lower it so it is just touching the switch. Those few inches will help. Then do as all have suggested in trying out different bowls, pitchers, candles from around the house. The trick is to bridge the gap between the picture and the console, but the entire gap doesn't need to be filled. Personally, I like the copper with the greenery, taller, chun ky candlesticks and a lamp.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

It is a very pretty console. Okay, so I love wrought iron & ferns. So, I would add a long wicker basket & put 2 ferns in it. Or an old dough bowl with some nice looking fruit.

Then add cookbooks covering the vent under the console & some pottery/white dishes stacked, etc.

Smiles:)