SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decoratingditz_gw

How to update the facade of our boring 70's ranch?

decoratingditz
13 years ago

I'm a longtime lurker who is fascinated with the style of all you decorating divas!

The front of my home needs some updating and I finally have found the courage to post photos.

Here's my background:

I'm a country cottage-type "girl" who prefers a cute cottage in the woods (which is exactly what I had before marrying.) DH is a city guy with no particular style but he loves to be up in the clouds. When we purchased our home 25 years ago I swore I would never live in a boring high-ranch. But all the newer homes back then were high ranches (we're in the Northeast). So I gave in when DH found a home in wonderful neighborhood. At least the ranch was a bit different; it had a gambrel-style roof (it reminded me of a barn) and beautiful cedar shakes.

As the years went by we needed to replace the cedar shakes; DH convinced me to go with vinyl "that looked like cedar". We selected Alcoa's Lake Forest Premier in American Walnut (I think that's the color). That wasn't enough of a "cedar look" so I "painted" our fiberglass front door with cedar stain. We also used white trim for the soffits and for the replacement windows.

So what to do? I hate the stark contrast of the white trim and the brown siding. Would adding shutters and/or window boxes offset the color contrast? We can't afford to replace all the white soffits and fascia but could possibly paint the window trim.

I did a little photoshopping... what do you think? Any other ideas would truly be appreciated.

This is the original house. (Please ignore the weeds; it was either weed the garden to take photos. The weeds won.)

In this photo I added shutters and door painted with BM Deep Royal. Also white window boxes.

In this photo I imagined the white window trim was also "painted" with stain. (Love that cedar look!)

In this photo I painted the window trim dark brown. Again used the BM Royal Blue door but with loden window boxes. No shutters.

This is a similar photo but using that yummy BM Cottage Red for the door. (I love the color but does it work with my house?)

Comments (33)