SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barrychan_gw

Inspection items

barrychan
17 years ago

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a home. It is a new construction semiattached house built by Greek builders. I had a home inspector come to inspect the place and he did a very good job. I think he was worth the money even though a lot of people told me you don't need an inspeaction on a new house. He pointed out things such as open ground on nearly all the outlets on the house which the owner/builder agreed to fix. Other things such as poor location of the diffusers (on top mostly) and 80 amp instead of 100 amp services to living area when he looked at the fuse box. These items I can live without since he said he has done everything to code and HVAC standard....

However there are two items that he doesn't think warrants repair/attention but I am a little concern. The inspector noticed water condition to basement evidenced by effloresecnet deposits, water staining rusting of metal, dampness in the trap area of the basment. The inspector suspects it is the grading of the soil near the foundation. The owner insisted that the soil is graded properly and when I went to look at the house today again, he painted the metal lid that covers the traps and the area is not damp anymore (since NY has not been getting much rain). The day of the inspection, we had a huge storm a couple of days prior. No water was observed in the basement.

Second item has to deal with the detached garage with brick veneer. Soffit vents are missing from both sides of the garage but has soffit vents near the garage door in the front. Also, the cinder blocks on certain sections of the garage are not staggered with seams over each other. The owner's response is that the soffit vents above the door of the garage is sufficient enough and you don't need them along the length of the garage. As with the cinder blocks, he said the brick veneer on the outside along with the cinder blocks make it very strong already and nothing will happen with it.

The new house comes with a 1 year warranty. Folks, what is your opinion on those two items the builder refuses to remedy? I am not a handy person and would like to see what everyone out there thinks? I really don't want to end the deal if these items are not major issues.

Thanks--Barry

Comments (6)