SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buffalotina

Getting close to final design - please criticize

buffalotina
14 years ago

Hi,

I think I have my design concept in hand and would love feedback. I don't know what I would do without this forum and I thank everyone here because I know my kitchen is going to be so much better - and better value - because of all the generous help and feedback I have had here. My layout is posted here and is really set in stone. It is basically the existing layout, it works, it suits the house and me, and keeping it is the only option with my budget. Now for my plan - I would like to know if am I crazy trying to combine some of the elements I am planning with, dare I say it, LAMINATE counter tops and floor? My logic is that for my 1927 house I want really well built nice cabinets that fit the house. I am pulling out site built ones that are really well built and I want to replace them with ones of equal quality. I don't want granite, corian or wood countertops and I am not crazy about quartz and so I really think laminate makes sense because why spend money on something I am not crazy about (I am not worrying about resale - this is for me!). Also, the existing pale color laminate floor has to stay for now - it adjoins the breakfast nook and the entry way and is in good condition - cannot afford/justify replacement right now. Next time around I would get something more period appropriate like click Marmoleum or such.

Here is my layout:

{{gwi:1842124}}

Here are pictures of the existing kitchen:

{{gwi:1781237}}
{{gwi:1781242}}
{{gwi:1781240}}

Here are details of my new plan:

Shaker style cabinets in off-white - Brookhaven or Crown Point

Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone laminate countertops (1 1/4" thick, no backsplash - thanks to janie-k on this forum for this inspiration)

Some kind of subway tile backsplash to counters and above range (maybe marble even??)

30" American Range gas range, with white door

Modern-Aire Barrel style hood in stainless (thanks erikanh!!)

Reuse existing Miele white DW

Rejuvenation/Schoolhouse electric light fixtures (no recessed cans)

Blanco Silgranit large single bowl sink in black

Reuse existing Delta faucet

Fridge is in breakfast nook just to the right of the doorway and it really is practically in the kitchen (I like it there!)

There will be no upper cabinets beside the range - just the hood. The breakfast nook is acting as a sort of eat-in butler's pantry - the fridge is there, I have shelves with the microwave and I will move the countertop oven to those shelves. I really like having all that stuff back there out of main view and the fridge is honestly very handy. Moving it there freed up so much space in the main kitchen for more countertop and storage.

I think that's about it....

I really need help on the lighting layout too - just realized I can't do surface fixtures above the counters because the cabinet doors will hit them when open. I will do a couple of pendants above the sink and maybe 2 schoolhouse fixtures in the main area of the room. The hood will have lights... but maybe I should get undercabinet lights? I really really don't want any recessed cans...

I want this to be SIMPLE but classy, functional and period appropriate... just don't want to be labelled crazy for combining good cabinets like these with laminate...

Many thanks for any input and advice.

Tina

Comments (9)