SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

Bedroom / Bed Mattress - Simple foam is great I think Need help

gardurnit
14 years ago

Mattress from foam - custom made

Comfortable Mattress. Surprisingly simple and perhaps cheap -you help find it for us all.

A plain latex (I think) mattress was the most comfortable I've slept on in years.

I visited my Aunt for Christmas and slept on a bed that was exceedingly comfortable. By the third day I was

wondering what the brand was so I could consider getting one. To my surprise it was simply a large block of

foam mattress. The top felt a bit softer than the main body of the mattress but I think this was simply due to the

fact that the top is where you can push easily so it feels a bit softer.

The sleeper feels the mattress is very firm. And it was so very comfortable that I did not want to get out of bed.

Let me reiterate that the mattress material was the same all the way through. It was not softer on top and it was

the same material throughout the whole mattress. I'm very sure it was not a 'visco' or other special foam.

I've researched those and am a materials scientist so I'm aware of the subtle differences.

What I'm not aware of is the mattress marketplace.

This is where I need help with two ideas.

1. Could my comfort simply be the novelty of a new mattress? I wondered about this and frankly a firm mattress is

not something I would pick normally. I'm not even sure it can be called firm because it's just a block of foam.

2. Where can I buy a block of foam. It's not a special foam. It's not any of the special foam mattresses that you

see advertised. It was an inexpensive and basic piece of foam with a covering and no name.

Custom help :

What do basketball players sleep on ?

I would be willing to take delivery of a plain piece of foam about 8" x custom size and have a cover made for it.

I am 6'2 " tall and even a King or California King is not really the right size for me. Since this is just a piece of foam

with a covering I wonder if I could get a custom made mattress in a size that fits me better or maybe you know

of larger than King or California King. IF you do please make a comment. Thank you.

If I can find this in a king size for under $200 I'll feel like I found a fair deal. Can you help locate this kind of product

for us all who would be willing to take my advice and try this style of mattress?

Thanks!

Andre

-------

Comments (6)