SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

I got a new sewing machine

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

I feel ambivalent about it. It is a Kenmore 16221. I used to sell these for Sears when I worked there so I'm pretty familiar with the machine. I know they are made by Janome and are of decent quality for a new machine. However, I REALLY wanted an old fashioned metal Singer. I sent my old cheap Brother flying off the ironing board yesterday and it smashed all to pieces (don't ask!). The new machine sews so smooth and comes with all kinds of presser feet and stitch selections. The automatic needle threader and on board slicer are very nice. I still haven't decided to marry it yet... there is a 30 day return policy. If I find a good deal on a metal old fashioned machine, the Kenmore may return to the store. The only problems with the metal machines are that they usually don't have zig zag and usually come in a table. I want a "portable" machine, not one that comes with a table because I don't have anywhere to store the table or way to get it home.

I've considered taking quilting lessons. Anyone else have experience with this? Do they have lessons at JoAnns for people that didn't buy their machine there? Really all I do is straight stitch and make throw pillows. I have cut out squares before and sewn them together to make a play quilt, but nothing ever came out of it. I wanted to sew an apron and got so overwhelmed that I just gave up. That was several months ago and I was fighting with the Brother and trying to do it without a pattern.

Are there any good books that you would recommend for beginners? I understand how the function of the machine works, I just need to know how to create projects with it. I would like to be able to make things to sell to pay for the price of the machine if that would be possible. What do you think of that idea?

My least favorite things about sewing are measuring and cutting. I do have a straight Fiskars rotary cutter so I can cut straight lines. And an OFLA board on which to do it.

Any advice? Suggestions for beginning projects?

I'm replacing a cheap Brother that I got at a thrift shop for 15 bucks and the motor and mechanical operation on the new machine are so smooth compartiively speaking. Of course it isn't a Husqvarna or Viking (way out of my price range) but I think it will be more than sufficient for me. Hope I'm still this excited in 6 months! Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)