SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_san_diego

Was I Scammed?????

andrea_san_diego
16 years ago

My dishwasher control panel was not working, so yesterday an appliance repair man came out and said that there is nothing wrong with the dishwasher and that the problem is with the circuit breaker. He said I had to call an electrician. The electrician said that the breaker was in very bad shape and that circuit breakers should be serviced every 15 years. Who knows when it was last serviced? Parts and labor was $1300.00 and took him 15 minutes. He said that if I wanted to REPLACE the entire circuit breaker box and contents it would cost $7000.00 so I was getting a good deal.

After the service he turned on the power and I heard 2 loud bangs from the dishwasher. He came in, checked out the wiring then spent 30 minutes going back & forth from the dishwasher to the breaker box on the side of the garage. Every time he turned on the power there was a loud bang and flash of light from the bottom of the dishwasher. Eventually he found the short in the wiring and everything is working. Buying a new dishwasher would have been cheaper but who knows what would have happened with the breaker. He says that there was too much space between the contacts and it could have started a fire. He replaced some of the switches and the 2 breaker bars behind the switches. I don't know. This may all be true but I still feel like I've been scammed. Mostly because I don't know anything about electricity and because fixing the breaker only took 15 minutes.

Thanks,

Andrea

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars280 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz