SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayjones481950

Coffee Shop V - not just for coffee drinkers!

kayjones
16 years ago

Comments (150)

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gene, what a delightful post - THANK YOU! I may have been the one you referred to as getting mail in my deceased husband's name - it's almost daily at this point. I try to get his name removed, and most of the time it works if I send a death certificate.

Since I quit smoking, not only have I gained 20 pounds, but coffee doesn't taste as good to me. I can still drink it if I add cocoa mix to it, but I am down from two pots a day to two cups a day since Gary became ill - I guess I enjoy it more when I am drinking it with someone I love!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Hi All, doing my laundry and relaxing for the day. Kind of dark and dank out but at least above freezing. Might take a ride out for a sunset photo in a bit....always looking to improve settings on my previous one.
    Eloise, you all couldn't be so lucky as to lose me...you're stuck with me. Just sometimes I take a little break.

Gene, glad that insulation helped you out. I'd never use it in an attic situation but for what you wanted it was worth a try. As far as the leftovers, I was at a clients house recently, where I had installed a garage heater last year and he had cut the stuff into strips and put it over each segmant of his garage doors. Said it made a major difference in retaining the heat.

Jo, sounds to me like you need to get out and do more hiking like we did that time I came to visit. Very scenic and envigorating!

Mary!....did you ever get your camera??...inquiring minds want to know...heh

Hope everyone is having a quiet Sunday.

• Related Discussions

For coffee lovers (and tea drinkers)

Q

Comments (21)
    Brenda, I STILL don't have it. (how about you, Marian?). I've given it several "breaks", too. I figure it's like the .02 discrepancy in a checking account... . The more you look for it the more it camouflages itself. How dense am I?! I've tried looking for patterns in the beans and have identified several... missing the forest for trees, or what? sigh... :)
    ...See More

Coffee Or Coffee Maker For Good Coffee?

Q

Comments (23)
    I use 12 level tbsps of coffee plus about 1 1/2 more for our ten-cup Braun. I always offer guests added hot water if it's too strong, but no one has ever complained. We buy Don Francisco online or from the catalog; it's DH's favorite. Don't care for Starbucks; it tastes very harsh to me. We have a variety of D.F. flavors that we like. When they have a sale we occasionally spring for Kona. There is now a discussion about coffee brewed in French press coffee makers being bad for one's cholesterol. A Dutch study comparing filtered to unfiltered coffee indicated that this was the case. There's a fair amount online about this question. I just googled 'french press coffee cholesterol'. Very interesting information.
    ...See More

Do you feel guilty using coffee shop washrooms?

Q

Comments (29)
    When you are a traveling sales rep, you get over it in hurry. Funny story - one time I had to go pretty bad. I stopped at a convenience store (that had sit-down eating booths) and the girl told me the bathrooms were around back...port-a-potties. Oh Yea, my favorite! Well, it was an emergency. So I opened the door and it was FILTHY! I walked right back in and asked very politely if they had an indoor facility. (I REALLY had to go by now.) There was absolutley no way I could get back in the car, I HAD to resort to drastic measures, and this is where politeness took a detour. Well, she told me there was no others except for employees. (remember I am desperate here...) I told her state law requires eating establishment to have a public restroom and if the ones out back were it, I was going to call for an inspector. Long story short, I did use the "employee only" room successfully, I did go ahead and buy a soda (or something) and I did NOT call the inspector That type of behavior is totally not normal for me, but I cannot remember a single time when I needed it more! LOL
    ...See More

Coffee Shop VI

Q

Comments (141)
    Eloise - boy did I sleep well. I was late getting to work!! But I needed it even without the raking. If you'll look, you'll see the time I did that post last night. It was entirely too late to be up. But, having problems going to bed - STRESS!!! My boss told me today that I should be looking for Plan B - she is. Our new VP is really making life difficult. We don't think she wants any of us there - so she can bring in her own people and also confirm herself to everyone. So, we'll see on that one. Let's just say though - not good at all. I'm too old to be considered a real candidate anywhere other that someplace 50 miles from home. That's the kicker, I'm 8 miles from home now - never had that before. Plus, I like the company. We just have a micro micro-managaing, self-absorbed, control-freak for a boss that is begining to remind me of a wicked witch! She is so much so that I don't trust her as a person. It's one thing to not trust your boss, but I don't trust her as a person - too high on herself and what she can do. No telling what she will do to prevent someone from seeing her faults. The bad thing - I think that's why she was hired!!! The other stressor - my folks. Found out today that they are OK -somewhat. They are being moved to the other facility to have more intense care - thank Goodness! But that's not saying things will be OK but I do feel better that they can be watched. My step-mom is becoming very manipulative and they are worried about my dad's safety. So, THAT saga continues. At least they are dead and my step-mom didn't kill someone!! Hey, I'm 139, I think. BTW, What's going on with TNMN2???? Check in Michael when you can. Miss you, big guy!!!
    ...See More
  • Tinmantu
    16 years ago

after seeing my cup picture, my brother sent me this one...wants me to impose our pics over these guys faces..ha

{{gwi:2065989}}

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michael, it's not hiking that I need! Teeheee!!!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

LOL

• Gerry1117
    16 years ago

Oh, my! Are we getting just a tad naughty here? Smirk :-/
    Would be fun though, eh?

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, maybe a tad! Sex IS the best diet plan in the world - when your having sex, you aren't thinking about food!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I've heard rumor that it is good for the cardiovascular system...not sure about weight loss though. Amazing to think that someone is getting paid to conduct that research though...where do I sign up?

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Jo send that guy to me. If I go out dancing, that is what I want to be doing! It's good that you went out, even if it was only to find out you weren't ready to be out and about. On some other occasion, you will be better and then able to enjoy being out.

I had too much coffee yesterday and couldn't sleep last night. I finally fell asleep sometime around 2 AM and was awake at 5:10 AM -- I hate that! Coffee will affect me sometimes when having coffee late in the afternoon, and other times I am fine.

Gene that sounds like a wonderful gift, and you are right, it's great to get gifts we can use! I've had the Christmas Blend, House Blend, and have tasted the Sumatra, however, the latter was not from Starbucks.

Yesterday when I took a friend home who had been visiting since Friday, we went to eat at what is known as The Farmer's Market in Los Angeles. They also have this large shopping and park area (The Grove) attached so we went shopping after eating Brazillian food. Afterwards we went into Barnes and Nobles to look at some books and to have dessert. We both have Starbucks gift cards, but the girl said they didn't accept them because they were not Starbucks. That was a shocker because the name Starbucks was on everything! Apparently, they had just bought this franchise from Starbucks. Anyway, that was my fourth cup of coffee for the day and I think that was the one that kept me up most of the night. The problem is that I have never been able to nap during the day so I will feel lousy all day and try to go to bed early.

Michael, that's another good cartoon you posted, lol! If you post your pictures on the face of those two guys, show us. Glad you didn't abandon ship and are still with us.

Guess I'll take down my Christmas tree. I would normally have taken it down on Saturday and then taken it to the recycling center, but had company. I have to check online what is the latest date one can take it to be recycled. I hope I can still take it to the recycling center. If I missed that date, I have to cut it in half and put it out in my green garbage can that will be collected on Thursday. My tree is seven feet tall and dry now so I really don't want to have to try cutting it!

Happy week all.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi all - just checking in (when I should be asleep 'cause I have to be in a class in the very early AM). But I wanted to say Hi, and I just have to tell you that you all are too funny. I learned somewhere in school many moons ago that sex was a must-have. At this point, I'd like to ask Maslow how the heck he thought that one up. But I tend to agree - it's a necessary evil - LOL.

gotta go guys - or I'll embarrass myself in class tomorrow. Anyone have some spare toothpicks.

I took pic tonight with my sister's camera. Not sure how they came out. Having MAJOR problems with the fabricator and I'm so fed up with them. I can't wait until Friday and they are outta here! But, it will look nice - I hope. Friday, Friday, Friday...Granite, Granite, Granite - yeah!!!

see ya,

gng

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gnee, my dear - sex is a physiological function that should NOT be denied! I have had guys tell me the were going to explode if they didn't have sex SOON! I ran like a mad deer, 'cause I didn't want them exploding all over my clean clothes!!!!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

OMG Jo - that is too funny!! I can just picture that one!! I'd run like you know what!

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Past couple of days have been shitty to say the least. Murphy's Law kicked in full speed.

My GS and GD had gone skiing for a couple of days and it turned out that everyone but my GD was sick with what appears to be a one or more day flu.

Sunday, got a cold sore on my lip - hate it -- and dont want to be out in public.

Monday, my DD called if I could watch my grandbaby because my SIL had been throwing up all night and couldn't care for her (he returns to work next Monday). Went to pick up my GD after school and the car died. I was able to start it up again, but it just wouldn't hold. I realized that if I kept giving it gas it would not die. I made sure the traffic was clear, put on Neutral, pressed on the brake with my left foot and gave it some gas with my right, then quickly put on Drive and went on to my DD's house, whew! I got their car keys and went and picked up my GS from school. After my DD got home from work, I drove my SILs car home.

Tuesday, brought their car back and took mine to a highly recommended mechanic nearby (started right away with no problem). He couldnt take it then because there were other cars before me. One of my society finches died :-(, and my cockatiel that flew away never returned.

Wednesday, left my car with mechanic and took the bus home, which is only 4 ½ miles , but it took about 1 ½ just to get home! I hate riding the bus, but last year I had to one day, and I hope this will be the only time this year. Put my cell in my pocket and went out to my back yard to empty some accumulated water under some plants. My phone slipped out of my pocket and into water -- its a goner! For the past three days I had been wanting to order a new phone, but couldnt decide on one. Just so happened earlier in the morning I force myself to pick one and actually ordered online -- should be here from 2-5 days. Called the mechanic to tell him to call my home phone when my car was ready. My DD picked me up after work and dropped me off at the mechanics. He gave it a tune-up and did a fuel injection service to make sure all the lines were clear. Told me the noise was definitely having to do with the transmission and I needed to take it back to the Jeep dealership - yuck! When my DD picked me up, she mentioned my SIL had gone to pick up my GS from school and then going to the pound!!!??? Whatever for? Havent you gotten our bad news? Apparently their three dogs broke through the fencing in the back yard that is by a wash and had been missing for two days! My poor GS was carrying such a heavy load and felt no one cared. My DD had already made posters to put out and she could see he felt a load off his shoulders -- poor baby. I said once I picked up my car I would go to their home to help search for the dogs. Got my car and decided to go down this street which is on the other side of the wash. Saw a boy with his dog and asked if he had seen a black lab, cocker spaniel and Shih Tzu, and he said his neighbor had been talking about them! The neighbor wasnt home, but the boys mom came out and started telling me about what her neighbor had said. This mom rescues stray dogs, but she wasnt home when our dogs went through. I wanted to call my DD but I didnt have me cell. I wanted to give this lady their home number, but its in my cell, I couldnt remember it, and usually I have numbers written down in my calendar, but I had just bought a new one and hadnt added the numbers! I gave her my number instead. Went to my DDs and she said they (SIL, GS and grandbaby) had called from the pound and all three dogs were there -- thank God! They didnt have their collars on because the black lab ALWAYS pulls hers and the other dogs off, and since they are in the back yard, we never worried. Anyway, they had the pound put in chips on all three now. Came home, called the Jeep dealership who tells me to bring in the car Monday. Monday, why not tomorrow?? They have too many cars already. Monday, I have physical therapy for my right shoulder and need my car so hopefully I can take it in the following Monday. Not having a reliable car is extremely stressful on me. I cried, had two glasses of wine, got online, and am much better, thank you very much!

All in all, things are on the mend. My cold sore is better, the rest of us havent gotten the flu, the dogs are home, and I found a wonderful mechanic. On the latter, my DD sometimes drops off this lady that works where she does at this mechanics. I told him about it and it turns out his son goes to school where my DD works, and he loves that school!

I am usually very good at handling stressful situations, but darn it, enough is enough! How do you all handle stuff when it seems too much is happening all at once?

• Gerry1117
    16 years ago

eloise - OMG, girl - keep kicking. There has to be a pony in there somewhere! :-) (((( ))))

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sorry for all the drama in your life at this time - like Gerry said, there's a pony in that hay stack - just be patient and this, too, shall pass.

I only THOUGHT I had stress until my husband got sick and died - now, I realize everything up to that point and since, was/is just an annoyance - nothing can hurt me now - I just don't care anymore about the little stuff - I know it will pass or work itself out in due time.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Oh Eloise, I am so sorry for all that is happening for you right now. Sounds like life is really getting in your way - thank goodness for wine bottles!! I hope things are better for you soon. BTW, a good cry is a drug of choice sometimes!!

Hang in there - there is a rainbow coming (hurry up, hurry up, hurry up and get here!!)

Miles of smiles to ya Kid!!

gng

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Thanks Gerry, Jo and gng; I do feel much better today. I WANT A PONY, lol!! I went to the mall, then grocery shopping at Costco, and cooked some taco meat for dinner. Fedex delivered my new cell today! I needed a break right now from trying to input all my phone numbers. Don't know if I had gone to a Verizon store if they would have been able to transfer them from my old phone as it is not working. Oh well.

Jo, you are right in the sense that we have endured more serious stuff with our loss, and that alone should put other problems into prospective. But, when it is one thing after another, and you all know I have been dealing with my car for the longest, well it got to be too much!

gng, yes, a good cry always helps wash away what is bothering us! This reminds me -- quite a few years ago, I went to the bathroom and one of our students was crying. She didn't know why, but another girl came in and started crying just because the other girl was crying. Soon there was about five of us crying. Afterwards we all had a good laugh, and we all felt great.

O.k. back to the phone. Good evening all.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

So glad you are feeling better Eloise!!!

OK, now I can yell it out - TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!! My neighbor just finished putting up the crown molding in the kitchen and family room - it is BOOTIFUL!! The chair rail goes in tomorrow after the granite is installed. Now I have to pick out the backsplash tiles and flooring. What is wrong with me - my bank won't give me money unless I put some it there!! I don't have to put in there!! But, once it is all finished, I won't want to do anything but stare at it so that'll save some money - I hope. I'm glad they didn't do the trims ealier because now I see how easy it would have been to rearrange my kitchen - MO MONEY, MO MONEY!! Oh well...

OK, now that I've calmed down, hope everyone is still hanging in there. Seems like we all have been going through "life" lately and I just want to wish everyone well.

See ya,

gng

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eloise, you know I didn't mean to diminish your feelings - I was talking about myself. I have been overwhelmed on may occasions, but now I realize I made way too much out of those incidents, in comparison to recent events.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Jo, Don't worry, I didn't take it that way. As time goes by after a loss, we eventually return to reacting to minor incidents in life. I think this is o.k. as we need to be able to vent, if not we might truly flip out! Hope this makes sense.

Happy for you gng, FRIDAY! Soon your kitchen will be done and you can start using it, or just staring at it, lol! I stop myself from doing major upgrades here in the house because everything costs so much! When I sell my home, it will be 'as is'.

Almost done with inputting phone numbers. Today, I am taking the new phone and Bluetooth so my grandson can program. I am sure I can figure out how to do this, but I want my 11 y.o. GS to "help me" (wink)!

Later. Eloise

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

OK, I'm speechless, but I just had to talk to you guys. I've never done, nor expected to do anything like this in my life. One it started - buying a new cooktop which turned into having to get a new countertop, and then having to decide on type of countertop becacuse Silestone cost too much, to having to upgrade the electric, and you know the rest. But, I am so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to comlete this. I also have some wonderful friends and neighbors, and family, that have helped in one way or another, and prayed A LOT (for it to be finished more than anything). I'm also thankful that it is OVER, for now.

I'll check back in later.

Hope all are OK.

gng

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, can you post pictures?

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hey Jo - I will. I took a couple during install but so much was going on that I'm not sure how they will turn out. I'm totally exhausted and probably can't even absorb how to do that. I'll probably post some tomorrow - well no, not until Sunday when the faucess and cooktop will be installed. I have to wait 24hrs to hook up the faucet and the plumber can't get here until Sunday. Definitely Sunday.

Believe me, it's not a great big redo, so don't expect a whole bunch. BUT, it is just so beautiful; I couldn't even imagine it would turn out this way. Happiness is relative and subjective, and this is so much more than what so many others can do. I am just so overwhelmed with this blessing. It has been a long, long time and I know now that it was worth every hour. When the granite guys left, I was outside and I just let out a bill yell - IT'S OVER!!!

I'm trying not to preoccupy the Forum with this, especially since you all are so important to me, but today, I can't help it. I sincerely hope you guys are smiling in your worlds too!!

gng

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Occupy the forum, girl - we are all SO PROUD of you - you are very brave to attempt all that remodeling and you have EVERY right to yell from the rooftop! It is gorgeous, I AM SURE!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Jo, my gosh, you are going to really make me head for the kleenex!! I've been in such awe at how beautiful it looks that I know I want to let it all out. But so far, I've been very good - no kleenex. I just so calm and at peace with the outcome.

You are so sweet - looking out for all of us. Thank you so much!! I know you have your challenges, like most of us here on this Forum, but you have been so supportive.

BTW, it's time to start a new thread - you've been pretty creative lately. How about another one. It's getting quiet again.

Oh MICHAEL - have you come up for air yet, now that today's games are over!! GO PATS! No, I'm not a Pats fan, but they're on a roll and it's kind of fun watching it sometimes - I don't like Brady, but he's a smart QB.

Eloise - how ya holding up - you're pretty quiet...

See y'all - shuteye time. I need to rest so I can clean up tomorrow and COOK in my new kitchen!

gng

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I'm here ..watched the game....well, 95% of it anyway then took a little nap....that's why I'm here at 2 in the morning, my time....Since my Bronco's are out of it, I want to see New England win it all. (I just put the kiss of death on them,watch and see) My week from hell is hopefully over and just relaxing this weekend. I'm sure I'm ticking off some people because I just shut off my phone..I want quiet....Happy (Belated) Birthday to you, Mary!!!

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, gng! I was going to try to make one of those fancy b.d. greetings, but it takes me too much time thinking on how it works, lol!

Michael, "belated"? I thought gng's birthday was today.

I am doing just great! Been busy sewing some cushions for my grandbaby's rocking chair. My cell phone is now all setup with Bluetooth. I have to read more instructions on the various abilities of my new phone.

Think I will bake some biscotti today as I have nothing sweet to have with my coffee in the morning.

A blessed Sunday to all, Eloise

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michael, you will need to send me your cell number again, just in case I need to call you! LOL

Eloise, how do you get away with eating sweets - I eat them and gain weight - never used to be that way until the last year!

Mary, HAPPY BIRTHDAY - WOW, to be 39 again - how sweet that is! Hugs, ((((((Mary))))))!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

You're right Eloise, for some reason I was thinking that Mary had said Saturday was her birthday earlier this week. After checking the GW birthday list I saw it was indeed today....guess I'm just used to being a day late and a dollar short...need to check the list more often so we don't miss anyones birthday, I guess.

Jo, I thought I gave you my cell # recently. That's all I have anymore. Gave up my landline, as I didn't see the sense in paying 2 phone bills.

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I guess you did, but it won't do me any good if you TURN IT OFF!

• Gerry1117
    16 years ago

And here I have a sticky note on my monitor screen "Birthday wishes to gng - 01/16!!! Glad I peeked in tonight before closing down the computer.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GNEEGIRL

Oh, to be 39 again. No, I take that back because if I were 39 again it would mean I had a 2 year old busy getting into things. I enjoyed it then, but now I just don't have the energy.

In addition to the birthday wishes, gng, enjoy that new kitchen.

I can't seem to get by here much as I'd like, but I've just stayed so darned busy recently. No, not any special projects or remodeling jobs - just livin'.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi all - thanks for the Bday greetings!! Would you believe it was a "nothing" day - just overjoyed to have water in the kitchen now!!

I too need to check for other's birthdays - not fair to just celebrate mine! Seriously, I think they are important. We always at least recognized everyone's birthday growing up. But when I got older, I used it as a day for everyone to have fun - share, I guess. Lately it's not as much since I can't PAAARTE like I used to (thank Goodness for that - LOL).

Eloise, you have one up on me. I have a plain-ole camera phone that I don't even know how to use! Things like that used to come naturally to me, but not lately - age maybe?? No, can't be; you guys have a few on me and can do it. Don't tell me it's ME!

Why isn't the holiday tomorrow instead of next Monday!!

'nite all...

gng

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Good evening all,

Just got back from physical therapy. There was someone else here having shoulder problems, but forgot who. Anyway, I did a few exercises, and got an elastic band to do them at home. I almost canceled because my arm (frozen right shoulder) is almost 100% better on its own, and with some help from my yoga classes, but decided to go in case they've come up with new therapy. My x-ray showed some calcification which the PT person said caused some of the pain when I move my arm a certain way. I won't make anymore appointments unless it gets worse.

gng, oh please believe me, I too am so far behind on new technology. At some point, I just resigned myself that I didn't need all the new stuff, but by next year, we will not be able to talk on a hand-held phone while driving. I don't do much of that, and lots of times I pull over to dial. I might as well be prepared when that new law kicks in next year in case I have an emergency where I had to make a call while driving. This is my first camera phone only because the model I chose came with it. When I got my previous phone, I knew I would not be taking pictures with it or text-messaging, as I most likely won't be doing with this new one.

Did I ever tell you all about the time I pretended to take a picture with my phone, although I didn't have a camera phone? Has to do with a guy doing graffiti. Don't want to repeat the story if I've already told you guys.

Jo, I get away with eating sweets sometimes because I am extremely busy five days a week with my grandbaby, lol! All day, I am up and down on the floor playing with blocks and other toys, crawling around, tumbling, etc., playing peek-a-boo from room to room, I take her for long walks (she's in the stroller), and run after her outdoors. She very active and prefers running instead of walking. When she naps, I straighten around the house, wash clothes, etc., just to keep myself busy. At home I clean, try to work out in the yard, do some exercise with a dvd, go shopping, etc. Then, there are some days (weekend) when I just vegetate, lol!

Gerry, do tell. Are you very busy lately because of that old love that came back into your life? Sure hope so!

Have to start reading the DMV manual to renew my driver's license in February. It has been 10 years since I've had to do that and am not looking forward to it. I downloaded the manual, but it's too many pages so haven't printed it out. I went by a DMV not too far from my home to get a copy of the manual, but it was closed. I mean closed permanently, rats!

Later.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Hope your shoulder problems stay at a minumum Eloise, I know that pain oh so well....mine has abated for a year or so and hope it continues...I was worried about calcification just because I have done mostly physical labor all my life.

Mary, I have a camera phone and it's ok in decent in great light situations and that's about it. Was on a job the other day where a squirrel had buried himself and died in a flue vent on a furnace. Phone cam didn't do it justice. Now I am carrying my 4 megapixel with me so I don't miss a dandy like that again.

Jo, I had my phone off for one evening...haven't heard from ya in all the other days it was on.

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Michael - you will, you WILL!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Eloise - you sound like my sister with her 18mo old granddaughter!! It is so funny listening to her tell me about the day. Now she calls me to tell me that I need to watch one episode or the other of the Backyardigans!! My niece runs like none other, except her dad. I kept him when he was a baby and boy did I get my exercise chasing after him.

I just renewed my DL but only had to do the eye test. I had to take the written test a while back and almost failed it! I took my nephew to get his Lerner's permit and missed 3 questions. He passed with flying colors. I would rather have taken the road test. If I had to take the writtent test today, I'd be in trouble.

When I finally get my camera, I'd like to have it with me for "those moments" too. Those are the best shots. Maybe soon - when the kitchen is finally finished. I found out yesterday that my neighbor that is doing the rest of the work had to have his 16yr old daughter rushed by ambulance to the hospital. When he came home form work he found her on the floor unable to move. She had probably been laying there all day. She had called her Dad earlier and left a garbled message. They coulnd't find anything but she is supposed to go to another Dr. today. I hope she is alright - sweet girl. He is a single dad and really worries that he is being a good father. I'd hate it something really went wrong with her. So, my kitchen work is on the back burner for a while. I just want to see his daughter OK. I'm saying prayers...

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Thanks Michael. Years ago, I injured my left shoulder and it took a long time to heal, mostly because I didn't go to the doc right away. I kept thinking the pain was going to go away. With that shoulder, at least I had a reason; I had cut down a rubber plant tree in the back yard and had sawed and pulled until it was trimmed of all the branches that had gotten burnt with the cold. I suppose there is a reason for the injured right shoulder as well. I used to run (for exercise) and one morning when I was running around 3 AM, I cut a corner too close and didn't realized there was a sprinkler head sticking out. I went down hard on the sidewalk and thought for sure I had fractured my knee. Thank God I didn't, possibly because I was taking lots of vitamins and minerals to keep up with my daily run. I kept thinking that when I got older, I would start to feel the aches and pain from that fall, but so far so good. We certainly are in a catch 22. If we are active, we wear out our bodies, if we are not active, it deteriorates!

gng, I love being a grandma! Yesterday, I laughed so hard because my grandbaby (16 mos) kept stealing a tennis ball from their shih tzu. The dog would run after her and you could see the look on my GB's face when she ran towards me to pick her up. You know that feeling when someone is going to catch you. Then she would throw the ball down and go back to taking the ball. Sometimes she would pat the dog and say nice, nice, then would steal the ball. At the end, the dog was pooped, but not my GB. I had to put the dog out in the back yard to rest, lol!

I pray your neighbor's daughter is fine and that it was only something minor that made her faint. You are so right that your kitchen can wait. I could see if you had hired a company to do the work, but your neighbor whom you know, would be hard to expect the work completed considering what is going on with his family.

I keep putting off trying to get that stupid DMV manual - agh!

A grand day to all.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Any updates on your neighbors daughter, Mary?.....I hope she is ok.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

I can't believe this thread hasn't been kiboshed yet.

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is there something wrong with this thread - am I missing something?

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I assume that JYG is referring to the original 100 post rule that we all expected on the last Coffee Shop thread....could be mistaken though.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Only 8 posts to go, then the onus is on someone to start Coffee Shop IV

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

VI...duhhhhhh...always was bad at French

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

VII posts to go.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi all - just checking in. I'm kinda wiped out - probabaly a sinus infection. I go to the Dr. on Monday. Went to the Ortho today for my knee and got THE SHOT! It is NO HELP!! I feel awful and my knee hurts worse. So, I'm not much company tonight, but I wanted to check in and say Hi. (sorry for the pity party, but I'll be better tomorrow - drinking lots of water)

Not sure what number we are on, but I'm sure we're close just from looking at the scroll bar. What was it before - 150???

Michael, hope you are feeling better. Everyone, hope you're doing OK as well.

Oh, BTW, my neighbor's daughter seems to be OK. She went to the Dr yesterday. Her dad called as said they think it was exhaustion but he's running more test. She goes back in two weeks unless something else happens. They were so thankful for my support - although I did nothing more that be a good neighbor, and listen, that they sent a plate (good) food for dinner last night. They are truly special and I'm glad to have them as neighbors.

See ya guys!

gng

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Gnee, I am so sorry for your pain - if I was nearby, I would massage it for you. I know a sinus infection is no picnic, either - gosh, girl - you are falling apart on us!

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

I am the 147th poster, unless someone else is posting at the same time I am!!

gng, soon you will be back 100%. It's no fun when you go to the doctor for help and come back feeling worst!

I am so happy to hear your neighbor's daughter is fine. It truly is a blessing when you end up with great neighbors -- I don't have any good neighbors myself. I have met more neighbors at my DD's then here where I live. Neighbors to the right and in front -- don't even want to know; neighbor to the left - a young couple with a child and they are always gone.

Later.

• kayjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning, everyone! It's another single-digit temperate day here in KCMO, but hey - it's not snowing, so I'm counting my blessings.

Today is laundry and spiffing-up-the-house day, which I don't mind. I am still dealing with the head cold - yuk. I did sleep throught the night, so am thankful for that. I hope everyone has a truely great day!

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Down to the next to last post....didn't go to work again today, was still running a fever and had strange dreams during the night....like getting sent off hundreds of miles a way to do my job. Woke up this morning feeling like I had already put in a full 8 hrs, called in and went back to bed and slept until almost 10...I NEVER do that. 2 days to get this bug out of my system, then back to reality on Monday.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Oh my Jo and Michael, I didn't know both of you were sick as well? I really hope you two will be 100% soon. Knock on wood, so far so good for me considering two of my GKs and SIL had been sick. I have been very fortunate my entire life that I normally don't catch colds and have had the flu only once. Of course, I have other aches and pains.

Michael, you don't have Monday off? Here, most places closed for ML King. We are having a bbq at my DD's.

Jo, I've been meaning to ask, when you move to FL, is your step son going with you?

Saturday, and hopefully I will stay home and do some stuff around here. I get restless and then take off to the stores or nurseries (plants). Most likely it is out of boredom not restlessnes, lol!

I haven't checked my email yet because I don't want to start my day with bad news. My aunt (mom's sister) is in hospice care and mom was going to see her yesterday. My aunt is in her late 80s (bless her), and got cancer about a year ago. My cousins took her to the doctor a week ago with jaundice, and they found out the cancer had spread to her pancreas. I already told mom I would not be coming to AZ when my aunt passes. She knows I can't deal with death/funerals as the pain becomes mine.

Hope everyone else is safe from the bug.

Eloise

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets