SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea345

When the tile work warranty really, truly won't be honored

andrea345
18 years ago

Our tile guy died on us. No, not simply died, but committed suicide 9 months after our project was complete. That was really disturbing. Moreso because we were very impressed with his work and his artistry. However,

we've had a failure in one of our bathrooms. Both bathrooms were "mud" jobs. That is, no backerboard, but a build up of concrete to which the tiles were adhered. This was done the "old-fashioned" way. The wainscotting, shower pans & floors were all concrete with the tiles tiled on top.

Now, one of the walls has cracked tiles all the way up from where the showerpan surround (tiled) meets the wall to midway up the wall. Luckily, none of the hand-glazed deco tiles were cracked. Something shifted and I need to get this repaired. I think there's a concrete problem. I don't know, but since the crack is pretty straight through all the tiles, that's why I think so.

Does anyone know about the work which would be involved in this kind of repair? The cracked tiles are out of the direct path of the water from the shower, but it needs to be fixed. We've lived with it for a little over a year and there hasn't been any more cracking. Maybe it's a seam between concrete batches, I have no idea.

I want to understand more about what might be the cause of the failure and what it would take to repair before I begin interviewing tile contractors for the repair. This is not a project where I want to walk in from work one day & find some fast-talker has dismantled my bathroom. I'm gonna need to be able to tell an expert from a fly-by-nighter. References / licensing / bonding & insurance will not be good enough. The deco tiles can't be reproduced. The subway tiles, at least I've got spare of those, but those won't be able to be matched either. I have to be able to tell whether or not the person I'm interviewing is feeding me a line of bull or knows what they're talking about. I'd also like to know what kind of costs I could expect to see.

Thank you for any information you might have about what I should know or how I should interview future "Tile Guys". It's my ignorance which has kept me from getting this work done. Time to take care of step #1.

Thanks,

-a

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor