SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viva99_gw

Which side of the sink should off-center drain go on?

viva99
13 years ago

I'm getting a single bowl, 18X30 sink. The inside dimension are 15.25" X 27.5". The center of the drain is about a third of the length from the nearest short side, i.e. 9 inches or so, and 18 or so inches from the farther side. Because the drain falls dead center in the front-to-back dimension, and because I don't plan to install the sink "farmhouse style" (with the "apron front" exposed), I'm pretty sure I can have the drain on either side... correct? (Yes, there's that little blue "Shaws" insignia that would only be visible if the drain were on the left, but that doesn't matter to me.)

Is there some rule of thumb for orienting off-center drains? Does it have to do with which side the DW is on? Does it depend on whether you plan to stack dirty dishes in the sink or to drain washed dishes in the sink, and which side you intend to do so?

The reason I'm asking is that in my (somewhat quirky) situation the sink will be flanked on the right by a DW, on the left it will be just 3 inches from right-angle bend in the counter -- a blind corner. We were kind of hoping to use that (extremely awkward) blind corner for back-up recycling, which we could access by removing the primary bin from directly under the left side of the sink. We could only do this if we put the drain on the right, especially since we are planning to install a garbage disposal. If we were to put the drain and GD on the left side, it would pretty effectively block off that blind corner, except for extremely low-profile storage (corrugated cardboard recycling?)

OTOH, it somehow seems weird to put the drain on the right. Why is that? Am I having some unfounded mental block?

Comments (13)