SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Corelle warning - edge splinters!

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I knew that if you dropped a plate, it would shatter into thousands of tiny pieces. We still have 4 plates we use all the time (bought used when the kids were little, so something lightweight and "unbreakable" instead of heavy Pfaltzgraff). Was using 1 for breakfast this morning, picked up my plate when I was done and felt something sharp prick the base of my thumb. Went to kitchen sink window (I was going to rinse and put in DW anyway), found a short thin splinter in my hand! Edge is wearing, I didn't know it would splinter.

The shard broke off when I tried to pull it out (same direction it went in), I squeezed the wound to make it bleed, then washed my hands. I don't feel anything there now when I press on it, hope it's all out.

I just Googled recycling Corelle and I'm not sure it can be (some places say yes, other no) but all 4 plates are going in the trash now. I also warned my mom since I bought her a whole set when she decided her old Pfaltgraff was too heavy. We're going to be using the stoneware exclusively from now on.

Now I' wondering about my 25-yr old clear Pyrex (I also have a 40-50 yr old? Cinderella Pyrex bowl that was my grandmother's, that doesn't go in the MW or DW though)?

I also found when I searched on Corelle splinters that some have spontaneously exploded!

Comments (20)