SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Good Things about being Single

terrene
17 years ago

Hi All! I am a new poster to Gardenweb, a bona fide gardening addict who is also a single parent of an almost teenager, and kind of stumbled on this forum as I was poking around.

Does anybody else actually LIKE being single?? Or some aspects about being single? Not that I wouldn't mind having a lover and companion to do things with sometimes, but I think there are many positive things about being single and would love to explore them on a thread.

I am an very independent sort of person, who loves solitude, and thoroughly enjoys my own company. I am very social and like being with people, too, but I also like being alone, and rarely feel lonely.

I like being the captain of my ship. I especially like controlling my own finances, and knowing that I am not financially dependent on anyone else.

And I think there can be tremendous spiritual benefits derived from periods of time in a person's life when they are alone. These times can afford the opportunity for great spiritual growth - perhaps greater than when someone is coupled with another person, and thereby distracted by that other person.

Perhaps this is because when a person goes through hard times in their lives alone, they must reach deep inside themselves to do the soul-searching required to make difficult adjustments.

I am not meaning to imply that being single is better than being married, put down wanting to find a partner, etc. It just seems that society is geared towards people being in couples, and there is this pervasive sentiment that if you are single, there must be something wrong with you.

What do you all think?

Comments (38)

Sponsored