SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fayrankin

Surface Mounting Ceramic Tile Accessories?

fayrankin
18 years ago

CAN IT BE DONE?

OK, hereÂs the deal. IÂm in a fairly new house. I allowed the builder to get away with not putting any fixtures (soap dishes or corner shelves) in our two baths. Shame on me. The shower and the tub surround are tiled with the same 12 x 12 tiles used on the floor. The only fixtures I can find that match very well at all are in a Travertine resin at Dal Tile. They are a real joy to work with and are going to make me buy them through a dealer.

HereÂs the hang up, however, almost every tile accessory is made with a 5/16" "plug" for a lack of a better word that goes into the wall and allows it to fit flush with the tile on a new installation. In my case, I just do not want to, nor do I want to pay a contractor to, cut a hole into my perfectly good and watertight tile walls.

I have a "pipe dream" solution, which needs some review by cooler heads. I can buy "bull nose" or cap to match the tile and miter cut these to surround the fixture and take up the gap. I donÂt think it would look too bad. LetÂs say that another way- I think it would look pretty good. Well maybe OK?

Anyhow the key to this scheme is a damn good epoxy that will bond ceramic to ceramic. I would cut and fit the bull nose to the fixture and epoxy these together and then epoxy the whole assembly to the walls.

The other possibility is to cut or grind the plugs off the backs of the fixtures and then epoxy these in place.

The key is a good epoxy and the plan sounding somewhat less than insane to the casual bystander?

Let me have it!

Thanks,

Terry L. Aka fayrankin

Comments (2)