SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_phase

dinning room furniture ideas - light position

11 years ago

I'm full of questions these days. The house looked great on paper but now we've moved in, we started to notice "issues"

the dinning room is quite messy so I haven't been able to get a good photo. But here's the dinning room floor plan

The issue is the dinning light is positioned at the center of that room, directly facing the stairs leading into the house. By having the dinning table directly under the light fixture, that left a big empty space near the windows. I never realized until now that having a square dining room is not very functional as the dinning table is rectangular (regular 6 seater). I was originally thinking of adding a book case (like IKEA expedite) underneath the wall with the half columns or the wall between the windows. Or maybe some benches underneath the windows. But then it feels akward to have benches in the dinning room next to the dinning table (?) The house decor (especially the kitchen) is modern and contemporary so I'm not a big fan of hutches in the dinning room.

any ideas on how to decorate the area to make it more functional?

This post was edited by new.phase on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:15

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Renewed Vision Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA