SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Garage door opener questions

californiaplaya
18 years ago

OK, first let me appologize, because I know the questions I have must be so common, they must be quite frequently asked on here. However, I am not able to find anything. BTW, am I missing the faqs somewhere for this forum, or do they not exist (yes, I've searched for those also).

I purchased my first home, a condo, earlier this year. I have a one car garage which is below my second bedroom. My upstairs neighbors' two car garage is below my master bedroom (that will be relevant here soon).

I have a Genie screw drive opener which is approximately 10 years old and works fine. However, it is fairly loud, as is the neighbors' which wakes me up constantly. The garage door is a fairly light weight metal, either aluminum (not sure if garage doors are made of this) or steel.

I would like to upgrade mine, as well as find something that is quieter. If I find one that is extremely quiet, to the point where I won't be able to hear it, I want to try and convince my neighbors to change theirs. I'll even offer to pay for some or all of it if they want, thats how much it is worth it to me not to be awakened when they open or close their garage.

I have never replaced a gdo, so I'm not sure what I should be looking at or for. There is screw, belt and chain drive. What are some pros and cons of each? I already have a screw drive and it is LOUD, so I don't think I want another one of these. Far as I can tell, a belt drive in general is quietest. But are there any issues with these? Does the belt have to be replaced on a regular interval?

And then there are brands. I've always had a Craftsman in homes I've lived in in the past and they have always worked fine. I now have a Genie and it works fine as well. I'm not very familiar with Chamberlain, but I understand they make the Craftsmans, so they should be just as reliable.

I see Sears currently has the 53919 (belt drive with battery back-up) on sale for $229.99 - $60 off. This looks like their top-of-the-line model. Anyone know if Chamberlain accessories are compatible with Craftsman openers? One thing I want is a key chain remote. Sears doesn't have them, but Chamberlain does.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling on here. What would be opinions on the quietest most reliable gdo for my situation or what should I stay away from? I've already heard of many problems with the iDrive, so I think thats out of the question.

Thanks!!!

Comments (18)