SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Nailing into a plaster wall to attach shelf supports?

talley_sue_nyc
9 years ago

We're changing the shelves inside a closet and I'm dithering about how to attach things to the walls. Mostly because, the previous people just nailed stuff up (long nails). And it held!

So, if that will work, I'm thinking, why get out the drill, and the anchors, etc.?

Especially because one of the shelving solutions I want to put up is those bookcase-style ones w/ the horizontal slots (since there's an alcove that's shaped just like a bookcase, w/ two side walls). And the holes on that are little, so a #6 or #8 screw -just- fits through the hole, and I'd have to be precise in my drilling.

Composition of walls: about 1/2 inch of plaster spread over about 1-1/2 inches of concrete, spread over brick

In the alcove, there were cleats on side walls and along the back; these were just nailed in place. (One wall had to come down for some pipe work; it's now drywall on a framing--so anchors are called for there.)

Those cleats were just nailed in place.

Length of time previous cleats remained securely on the walls: 30 years or more

Amount of weight shelves bore: I don't know, but we crammed them full of toys, boxes of clothes, etc; they'd have cheerfully held books solidly, etc.

Elsewhere, against some walls in this large, long, skinny closet, the previous owners had installed ClosetMaid-type shelving by -nailing- wooden strips (sort of like furring strips) to the plaster walls, and then screwing the shelf brackets/supports into the wooden strip.

They set storage boxes up there (out-of-season clothes, etc.).

They took the shelves and shelf brackets out, but they left the wooden strips in case we wanted to use them. We didn't bother with them. But they weren't pulling away from the wall at all; we couldn't budget them easily; we had to remove them w/ a crowbar (It wasn't that hard, and the nails pulled out without leaving much in the way of damage).

So can *I* just nail those shelf supports in place? Or do I really need to use anchors?

(I'm afraid of not being able to get the anchors in exactly the right spot, bcs the holes are so small, they'll be a bit unforgiving.)

Comments (15)