SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmortarmixer

Aisle width in a walk-in pantry

mrsmortarmixer
9 years ago

We are planning an addition to our house, but I'm having a few issues with space constraints downstairs. To get a decent sized walk-in pantry, I'm almost certainly going to end up without a master walk-in closet or with a tiny master bath, neither of which I would enjoy.

The only way I can make it work and get a decent amount of useable storage is if I can get away with a 30" walkway between counter edge and wall. The top is 7'9" wide, the bottom is 3'11" wide, from door wall to back wall is 10'2" and from doorway to basement door is 4'6". With this setup, I can get 15" deep cabinets on the left with 12" open shelves above and 18 or 24" deep cabinets in the back with 12-15" shelves along the back wall. Ceilings will be 8'6" and I'll take shelves all the way to the top. I'd like a mixture of open and closed storage, and at least a small amount of useable counter space to set down groceries. I do not plan to do any work in here, so I'm thinking the 30" is workable.

And how it lays out with the rest of the addition. Don't mind bathroom arrangement or furniture in this picture. I was just blindly moving things around to see if things would fit.

If I can't get away with the 30" walkway or if anything looks terribly wrong here, I'd like to know now before I get too attached to any layout. There is a good chance I'm overlooking a simple solution. I've been working more on the upstairs layout in the bathroom forum, but I thought I should probably start figuring out the downstairs as well.

Comments (14)