SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Unprofessional, to say the least

aliris19
12 years ago

I'm feeling pretty shaken by an interaction today with a stonecutter who I told I had chosen not to accept the services of. He had left some edge samples for me to inspect and he told me I needed to pay him for the time he was without them. Then he told me I owed him money for the time he came to the house to look at the job. This was all stated at top volume alternating between anger and near-sobs. It really did break my heart -- I know this will positively send droll david and some others on here -- but he proceeded to tell me how much he needed the job, etc. I have signed already with another, but his yelling about my owing him money for absurd charges that were never discussed a priori anyway, was really unsettling.

I promised I'd get his samples back to him tomorrow but realized my schedule really won't permit this. I decided sooner was better than later; he does know where I live after all. So I sent my husband, but when my husband got close to "his shop" he was instructed to meet him in a restaurant parking lot? The guy hadn't showed up still after 10 minutes so my husband got the willies, I think, though he said he was just impatient (also quite possible!) and left the edges behind a bush and called to tell him where to find the contraband. Can you believe this? The guy then started yelling at him again about how we owe him money.

Youch.

And you cannot imagine how long and hard I have been seriously considering hiring this guy. Needless to say I feel I dodged a bullet, though I'm wondering, truthfully, whether I have really. My husband called tonight mentioning replacing the alarm system sooner than later. I confess to feeling really creeped out inside. I do feel really sorry for the guy, but I am also feeling kind of scared.

I hadn't anticipated just taking bids would be such a risky business. And what's really upsetting is how easily one can miss the boat about another's state of mind or competence or trustworthiness. And while I may have chosen sort of right in the end, I do wish I could say my path toward it was unwavering; it wasn't.

moral: think twice about who you invite to your house to give a bid. Not that I would have altered the invitation under the circumstances; it seemed a reasonable referral. But this is just a reminder that it's a big world out there.

Comments (31)