SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophiesmom08

Done wrong by blacktop contractor - what to do?

sophiesmom08
15 years ago

We contracted with a blacktop contractor in October 2007 to do our driveway at a price of $5500.00 . They told us that because it was late in the year they may not get to it until spring of 2008, which was completely understandable. In early April of 2008, I contacted them to find out when they would be able to do the job and was told that because of petroleum price increases the price would be $200 additional dollars. Once again, completely understandable. I signed a new contract for the new amount and faxed it to them. I then waited for a month(early May) and called them again. This time I was told that the holdup was because of inclement weather (we had received an unusual amount of rainfall)and that they would contact us as soon as weather cleared. They never called us so at the end of May I called again. They said that they would get back with us. They never did. The middle of June I called again and was told they would get back with us. Never did. We went on vacation for a week, came back to discover that a neighbor's driveway had been blacktopped while we were away by the same company that we were waiting on. I immediately called the company and confronted them on why this had happened. They informed me that because of oil/petroleum increases they could not make a profit from us at the amount of our quote, so they were doing jobs that would generate them a profit. I was stunned. If it had been the other way around and we had tried to break the contract, they would have probably tried to take us to court. He also said that if we would agree to a new amount of $7200.00, they would come out immediately and do the job. What should we do? Do we just forget about this company and move on? I feel like they have been totally unprofessional and and I guess I would like vindication. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (4)