SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soupgoddess_gw

Help! Slab Marble Island top - am I crazy??

soupgoddess
15 years ago

I need help!! I'm in the final stage of planning for finishes in the new kitchen. The wood (Beech, natural finish) and perimeter counters (Porcelain tile - Florida tile, Loft/Black) have been selected. I am having a 4X8 center island stained black to pick up the perimeter tiles. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of marble subway tile backspash, with slab marble on top of the island, but almost everyone I talk to is telling me I will hate the marble due to the etching problems.

I am a heavy duty cook (purchased a 36" Blue Star already, two twin Dacor 30" ovens off to the side), and that is one of the reasons I went with the porcelain tile for the perimeter. I think I like the idea of the patina the marble will develop, especially if I get honed.

Can anybody out there give me comments on their experience with marble tops? Oh, yeah: two kids, boys 13 and 9 will probably put the island through the paces, but again, I think that is something I would like. I'm not the shiny granite and all perfect type. To me, the kitchen should look loved and used.

Help!!!!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths