SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

Weird 'grading' system!

Momma_Bird_OH
21 years ago

My oldest DS is in second grade. We had our teacher conference on Tuesday, and his teacher just RAVED about how great he's doing. On the quarterly district reading and math test, he scored 100% in math and 98% in reading. She showed us reams of his classwork that were 98% and 100%. We left the conference walking on air!

Report cards came home yesterday. His school doesn't give grades like A, B, C, etc. They have "O" for outstanding, "S" for satisfactory, and "I" for needs improvement. Along with O, S, and I, each area graded has a number score for effort, from 1 for great effort to 3 for needs to put more into it. DS's report card had S2 in every area except music, where he got 02. This is an "average" report card. If he's scoring 98% and 100% on every test, how can he get just S, and if he's doing so well, how can is effort score be just 2, which means average?

I am really upset about this, because he is trying so hard. He's really putting his all into homework and trying so hard to be "good" in class.

I plan to call the teacher today, but first wanted to see if any of you have experience with this silly grading system or know the criteria for how scores are assigned. TIA!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor