SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidigo_gw

Hood decision - Help!! Wood hood or Modernaire PS26?

heidigo
12 years ago

Hello!

I'm so hoping you can help me decide which hood to choose for our kitchen remodel - this decision needs to be made this week so we can order the cabinets!! DH is ok with either and I feel like my brain is fried and I can't decide - aaaaahhhh!!!

We are doing Kraftmaid cherry peppercorn cabinets (dark color - inspiration from kitchenaddict) and along our range wall(36" GE Monogram range and we are going w/ 36" wide hood), our original design had matching peppercorn wood cabinet hood where just the hood would go to the ceiling to hide the duct work (ceiling height is 9'). See drawing below of range wall:

And close up/side view of wood hood:

But then I started thinking that perhaps it would look too dark and maybe we should do a stainless hood and I do love the Modernaire PS2618 (18" tall), so I started going down that route. But the problem w/ the PS26 for us is that since our cabs are not going to the ceiling and the PS26 is top vented (can't do back vent b/c it's on inside wall and the wall is not wide enough for needed duct size) that a 12" deep cabinet above the hood would not allow the crown on the adjacent cabinets to return (or whatever the crown molding terminology is) so it will "end" in front of the cabinet above the hood and KD says that doesn't look good. See drawing below:

So then the KD said if cabinet above the hood was at least 15 3/4" deep, then that would work w/ the crown on adjacent cabs. So I talked to Pat at Modernaire and they can modify the PS2618 to make the flat part at the top 15 3/4" deep. Yay, but then KD sketched what this would look like and I'm not so sure about it esp the side view - see sketch below:

So what do you think would look best? The wood hood or the modified PS2618 (or the original PS2618)?? Or anyone have any other ideas?!

Thanks so much - I feel like this is such a big decision and I've been going back and forth on this for a couple of weeks and still no decision. I almost feel like tossing a coin - heads it's the wood hood, tails is the PS26!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida