SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliberry

Painting Brand New Cabinets White. Will this look cheap?

caliberry
12 years ago

Hello,

First I'd like to say that I have been lurking thru these message boards feverishly and have found some wonderful advice (and work done) by all of you, so I'm really excited about the opportunity to pick your brains about my dilemma.

My husband and I just purchased our first home. It's a new build, and below are pictures from the model home kitchen--our cabinets, flooring, granite and backsplash will be different than what's pictured in the model, as everything in the model is "upgraded", and we're going w/ standard options.

What do you think about the following choices:

Flooring - Medium distressed hardwood (wanted dark hardwood at first, but we have a puppy that will grow to be 35lbs)

Cabinets - Our actual cabinets will be a standard cabinet provided by the builder that is somewhat lighter than the model home's (see last pic below). THe color is "light coffee". Given that we want medium hardwood, we would like to have more of a contrast with the cabinets, which is why I'm thinking we paint them white. Have already gotten some reasonable quotes for painting them white. My only concern is - do you think we're just going to make them look cheap by painting "perfectly brand new cabinets" white? I'm drawn to white kitchens, but most of them have shaker style cabinets, so I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with the outcome of painting our standard cabs white. What kind of paint would you recommend for this type of job? Oil based?

Granite - We're thinking Kashmir White Granite because we don't like too much movement in our granite (builder won't do quartzite).

Backsplash - At first I was thinking white subway tiles, but perhaps given white cabinets and kashmir white granite, a darker gray subway tile would be better to provide some contrast? We're going to look at some gray subway tile options at Dal Tile this weekend. Would love to know what you think...

Would really appreciate your two cents with all of this. Thanks in advance!

Here's the model kitchen, with upgraded cabinets:

{{!gwi}}

Here's the model pantry w/ upgraded cabinets, also to be painted white:

{{!gwi}}

Here's our standard cabinet (in "light coffee"), to be painted white:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (29)