SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwerner_gw

What kind of range hood with high ceilings?

lwerner
11 years ago

Hi all,

I need some advice on what to do about a range hood in a kitchen with really high, 11' ceilings. I'm planning to have a 36" gas cooktop with 36" of horizontal space above it for the hood. Or maybe 42", but with enough cfm's I think 36" will be enough, and that leaves more space for cabinets.

If the ceilings were normal height, I could just do an under-cabinet hood with the duct routed up through the cabinets to the ceiling. But since the ceilings are going to be so high I think I need to do something else.

Here's a SketchUp drawing of the kitchen design so far. The way I have it drawn the wall cabinets extend up to the 8' level, but that's pretty flexible; I just picked a number because I had to.

Here are a few options I can think of for the hood.....

• Add a second layer of cabinets across that whole wall, going all the way up to the ceiling. Then I can use an under-cabinet hood and route the duct through there with no problems. But 11' of cabinets on just that one wall might be overwhelming. That's almost as tall as it is wide!

• Use an under-cabinet hood and a second layer of cabinets, but only put the stacked cabinets above where the hood is. That gets rid of the 11' wall of cherry, but I'm not sure how it would look.
  • Sort of a compromise between those two: add stacked cabinets all the way across, but only 18" high or so, except in the middle they'd go all 36" up to the ceiling. Or I suppose there could even be 3 layers there in the middle.
  • Use a great, big "professional" style hood whose top lines up with the top of the wall cabinets. Then add another row of wall cabinets above it to hide the duct.
  • Use one of the modern, minimalist hoods that has a visible, stainless duct coming out of the top. Run that all the way up to the ceiling, with no cabinets above the cooktop at all. I kind of like this idea, but people I've talked to said they thought that having a 5' or 6' steel pipe running up the wall would be ugly.
  • ????

Do any of you have any ideas, or maybe any photos of designs you think might work here?

While I have your attention here's an unrelated question. Based on the drawing above, what would you do with the wall cabinets in the corner? Leave them along only the right-hand wall like I have in my drawing, or add a corner cabinet there and come out a couple feet onto the wall where the window is? I'm leaning toward the former, because corner cabinets are a pain and because this way there's the same amount of wall space on either side of the window. What do you think?

Thanks!

BTW, the design so far was inspired quite a bit by buehl and cloud_swift. Buehl convinced me to move the fridge over to the right-hand wall. (And then my architect convinced me to move the oven over there too, which I decided was better functionally even though it's a bit less attractive visually.) ...

Comments (16)