SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Solid vs. veneer panel

16 years ago

All the information I read on buying a quality cabinet says buy one with solid panel door vs. a veneer. Makes sense to me...A stronger door. However, is it ever ok (or preferred) to get a veneer panel? For instance, what if you are getting a painted finish...Will a veneer have less expansion/contraction due to changes in the weather which may keep your paint from cracking?

I read that veneers mellow (change color with age) differently than solid wood, so you shouldn't do a veneer panel with cherry cabinets. However, would this not be an issue with maple cabinets since they don't really mellow like cherry does?

Any advice is appreciated...Trying to buy a quality cabinet within a reasonable budget.

I tend to like the look of cabinet doors with a veneer panel vs a solid raised panel bc it is slightly less traditional looking. However, my DH does not like the cheap feel and sound of cabinets with veneer panels. I know there are reversed raised panels that are raised inside/flat outside, but they don't seem to be offered in our entry-to-mid level price range (We are currently considering Merilatt and Kraftmaid). Thanks!

Comments (5)