SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
sheesharee

New Art for LR

Sheeisback_GW
12 years ago

My FIL bought this picture at an auction. I like it. I was thinking of using it in the LR either above the marble table or on the main wall (it might be too small) above the web back chair.

I was questioning if the picture looked odd in the room with everything else I have going on.

So

1. Does the picture work in the room

2. Do you like either of those spots?

TIA!

The glass needs cleaned up.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Rest of the room. Sorry for those sick of seeing it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'm not wild about the frame but I could always rub n buff or something else to it. It's gold but there's black that runs around it.

Comments (95)

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

btw, these are brown transferware plates. Their coloring looks really pretty there.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

Actually, that's brown and cream. Here is brown and white, which is also looking like black and white.

{{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

Does this piece of art work in my room (w/pics)?

Q

Comments (55)
    I love the first and last stripe! I like the way the line draws your eye up and the last one is simple enough to not compete with the rug or the armoire. the one I picked was tough; there were so many that had your colors in them at Horchow! That one seemed to go more with your rug (which looked red, gold and brown on my monitor!)because it didn't have any green, but in the end I was thinking it had a subtlety that might work. having all of the colors represented is probably your best bet, though- it definitely brings your eye all the way around the room in a nice way. IMHO, you can't make your walls look too tall. Drawing the eye up is almost always a great thing. And I think some height will balance out the weight of the armoire as well. but only you can see how things look in person! clearly you have great taste!
    ...See More

Color to make art work pop

Q

Comments (21)
    I am no color expert at all. I know you were playing with some of the greens in the Affinity collection. I have Wasabi, and as much as I was scared to death to paint in this color, I love it. It really is acting like a neutral beause so many colors go with it. Ask your BM dealer to loan you some of the large samples (5x7) that they have in a binder. Take those home and hold them up behind the painting and see what you think. Everyone here always has such great suggestions. Here is my Wasabi wall, see how it works with the grays and purples? That's a marble top on the table and it plays nicely with that as well.
    ...See More

Would this art work in my living room?

Q

Comments (18)
    The wall color is SW Ramie. The chair was my grandmothers, and it is just sort of a placeholder right now. I have been searching for new chairs. I would really like to get 2 chairs, but I am unsure how to arrange everything. I would also like to get a new rug--I've been coveting a real hand-knotted forever. The current rug is very nice, 100% wool Couristan machine woven. It is in the same line as My3dog's lovely living room rug. They have been selling this line of rugs in the last year at Tuesday morning for less than half price. It doesn't come off quite as pale in person. I want to eventually move it into my bedroom, where it will be perfect. Does anyone have recommendations for a rug? What color scheme? I really like some of the orientals that are a bit more modern without a really tight or busy pattern. Something maybe like this: This rug is from Williams Sonoma home, and is way out of my price range at over $2K. Is it possible to get a hand-knotted for around $1K? I need at least an 8x10.
    ...See More

Art above the LR side table. Does this work?

Q

Comments (8)
    Red - Yes that's what I meant. I'll cut out some poster board tonight and check it out. I have a few other things in the attic that I have no place for because they don't coordinate with anything. I'm finally ready to get rid of the stuff but that clock still has a hold on me. It's just different and I really like the face. I hope you eventually find a place for your favorite treasures! Brownysmom - I do agree that spot could use a bigger table but that one will stay. (At least for now until I find a table on CL I like better......... :) I'm trying not to look.) Out of all the furniture I own that one is close to the top of my favorites. I think it would be nice to have a lamp there. I'm going to try doing some rearranging again this weekend. I'm open to other suggestions as to what or how many items to stick on that table! Jen - I know what you mean. I think sometimes it can be pulled off and look nice. Maybe if another item is added? Usually it looks like you forced it to work. I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions guys. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again! I like the brown plates there better and agree about the weight issue. I have problems finding art to flow and go together. It's like I don't know what to look for. Overtime I'll figure out something.

I like the shape of that mirror too. I was picturing something more like that.

I'm going to look for a different red shade for the lamp. I'm half tempted to recover it myself. I hate lamp shade shopping! :)

While I'm all over the place...the tall black shade lamp, is the shade too small?

Ack! I just want to rip that thermostat right off the wall.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have these fireplace billows. The one on the right I don't love but I do really like the longer left one. I've been trying to find a spot to hang it but so far haven't come up with anything.
    {{!gwi}}

This picture is just for a size comparison.
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

I was just wondering if maybe they could be family photos. -- or is that a no-no, lol. Where are we ~allowed~ to put them??? Seems more suited for an art collection, but just a thought.

I'm not a lamp shade expert. Now that you mention it, the shade does look a little perched/small, but the height of the lamp itself looks good. It didn't come with the lamp, then?

The cream shade fits nicely with that lamp. It might be easier to find the right fabric than a new shade, if you know how to cover them!

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

Here's the shade what seems about 1-1/2" or 2" taller. Last pic shows a taller finial. If the shade is fitting around the bulbs properly, with enough clearance for the bulbs/heat, then a I'd probably just get a taller, dark finial. Maybe others will think it still looks wrong though.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know Oceanna knows how to cover shades! I may be asking her some questions again.

No that black shade didn't come with it. I found the lamp at the thrift store (like everything else!) and finally just ordered the shade online. IMO it wasn't cheap and there was a restocking fee to return it + the shipping."Oh well" became my attitude at the time. I was looking for a square drum type shade. It does look really squatty to me now since the ps. Hmmm I actually shortened the harp also. It looked really odd to me with the candle part exposed more.

Ha family photos did cross my mind! I don't have a problem with them displayed. I was planning on using them in the hall on shelves like Lindybarts. Gallery would probably be better in the LR.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

ok, here's a shot with and without the plates, including the web chair wall. As much as I like the plates on the far wall, I think the relief of some open negative space is needed. The picture on the left wall is fairly large. If you do a gallery on the other area, the room will probably feel congested. The variation in heights is also more interesting, overall, with the open space, I think.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It does feel better when they're offset, plates higher, picture lower (if possible). But it's probably best breathing. The plates are light in weight, though, so if you don't like the bare wall down the road, maybe it will work for you. You'll know after these other things come together.

{{!gwi}}

I'm amazed there's that much clearance at the entrance. It looks realllly tight in the photo. My jaw dropped.

Are you getting a coffee table?

I think I'm gonna crash now : )

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After looking again I like that wall blank for now. I don't want to end up with so much stuff I feel cramped all of a sudden.

Ha there's clearance yet I still manage to trip over kitties!

Thanks again for all the great ps! It's time for me to crash too!

Wait, so should I just go ahead and center the web chair, table, and pic on that wall?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would like to get a coffee table or ottoman of some type. I've been checking CL. Something round, oval, or maybe leather.

Now i really am going to bed!

• dana1079
    12 years ago

I love your room sheesharee, esp the web chair!

The large mirror in your foyer...I couldn't see much of it but i think I have its twin!

It was over our fireplace, and gold didn't really match anything else since we've remodeled...i painted it gloss white and now it's in my dining room!

Very beautiful mirror though!

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

I didn't really get a chance to check that out. I take it, then, the chair can be shifted towards the armoire a bit? The table does look quite close to the kitchen entrance. I did notice the picture is towards the door, but wanted to look at the big picture.

I'm not really up yet : )

• loribee
    12 years ago

Wait, so should I just go ahead and center the web chair, table, and pic on that wall?

YES...and lower the pic a teeny bit so that it feels a part of the table and chair. :)
    I do like the plates BTW...you can find some lovely deals at TJMaxx if you decide to go that route.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I like what you and squirrel are coming up with. I also like the idea of plates for something different. Here are some insp. pics of plates I saved to give you ideas. They can be used anywhere.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

This one is a collection of tole trays. I love this!
    {{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok here I centered and threw some red fabric I had over the shade for an idea. It doesn't exactly match the other red. I think I'm going to have a hard time finding that style shade in red.

I'm hanging this today so here's the final before the final final. :)
    The middle is 55"-56" from floor. At this height it's slightly lower than the other two pics near the window.
    {{gwi:1418257}}
    Kmcg - Thanks for posting those plate pics! Really like the toile trays but don't know if they would work in here.

Which location are you guys thinking for the plates?

Loribee - I've heard this about TJ Maxx but I have yet to go there. Our Marshalls doesn't seem to have any.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dana1079 - I walked by my foyer mirror, remembered your comment and realized I forgot to comment back! I'm wasn't trying to be rude just am not awake yet.

Thank you for the compliment. Is your mirror posted over in the gallery here? I have another picture saved with the same mirror. I'd love to see a picture of it painted white. Would you please post one!?

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

That looks great, Shee. Very pretty! I love that chair there.

kmcg, I'm so glad you posted some arrangements, and toleware! Love your inspir pics. I looked all over and wasn't coming up with any pics. Toleware, mirrors, plates, pictures, maybe even a corbel .... Do you think the plates would be too much in the room, on that wall over the wing chair?

Loribee, where are you preferring the plates?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squirrel - I have a large corbel and it's in a box because I have no place for it! :) Ignore the plant thing.
    {{!gwi}}

I think maybe something should go on the wall with the wing but if I'm not carful it will look really cluttery.

I went to hang the picture and saw it was never up before. Here's the things that came with it.
    {{!gwi}}
    If I screw them into the top of the picture frame the top metal part will stick over the top. I could put them on the top sides but then I'm wondering will the picture tilt out from the wall?? I've had problems in the painting in the foyer with this. Should I buy a different hook? One of those saw types ones maybe?
    {{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also have a few of each of these plates. I don't know that blue should go in the room. . . the other plate is brown. Figured I'd mention it.
    {{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After alllll that.... here tis. :)

IRL I'm having a hard time getting used to picture lower. I grew up in a house where they were up pretty high!

I plan on trying the rub n buff Spanish Copper (need to buy some)color to darken the frame. Maybe even some antiquing glaze.

I actually only drilled two holes for this one. I used the two hooks it came with and it worked fine.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

That looks so good!! And I love the burgundy pillow and throw on the wing chair. You've worked so hard on this and it is really showing.

• loribee
    12 years ago

That looks BEAUTIFUL...I love that lampshade and whole table vignette with that framed print.
    Now, pour a cup of tea or glass of wine and relax. :)

Squirrel...re: the plates? I loved pic 217.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool. Thank you guys for all your help! I really like the changes that were made. Now I really need to fix my squatty black shade and the shade in front of the window! :)

Lori - 217? Where are you seeing that number? You like the gold shade instead of red?? That may be comforting to know if I can't find a red shade to work! Haha

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

Lori, oh, ok, you don't think the plates are too much over the wing chair then. I'm liking it with the web chair vignette now, but am still worried about doing that along with something on the left wall of the kitchen entrance. In terms of feeling congested. But I looove the plates over the wing chair : ) That whole pic just looks so very pretty to me, Shee. And it doesn't seem unbalanced at all. What is feeling unbalanced to you?

kmcg, what was your preference -- you'd said you like the plates also.

This is 217:

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squirrel - I was just saying basically I'm a more is more person and have to be carful! Ha. If I do a gallery type wall to the left when you enter and then the plates above the chair you guys still don't think it's too much? I guess I wouldn't need to use as many pics on the gallery wall.

Another thing I need to think about is that thermostat. I chickened out yesterday calling the guy. I'm going to do it tomorrow night. Let's pretend that's the best location or for whatever reason between him and DH I lose this battle. I need to do something to that wall. I was looking last night for decorative thermostat covers and found the link below and that's about it. I've read they need to breathe. Anele on another thread posted a blog where a lady covered it up with a tin mold. It looked cool but I haven't seen one that would look nice in my LR. In the link below they're 10 3/4" wide by 8 3/4" high x 4" deep. I could paint it and maybe do some type of monogram letter or tile, applique, something and use plates or pictures around it? I'm going to try to have it moved but I may need to come up with a different solution.

Here's that blog with the tin cover.
    http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2008/07/hiding-ugly.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Thermostat Covers

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

I can't imagine putting that over a thermostat. How can they patent something like that. How silly.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought it was better than looking at a thermostat if I can't move it. ? I figured the patent had something to do with there being room to breathe.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

Hey guys! Looking good Shee! Love the new vignette. Squirrel, I know you are concerned about too much going on in the room if she also adds to the left wall going into the kitchen. Maybe less pics than what squirell has in her post? You would need to play around with it. I do love the plates. If it is too much IRL, than I would suggest on the DR wall. I saw in another post you were asking for help by maybe placing a mirror there but were concerned about the reflection. Plates there would solve that problem and not be as expected as a picture.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

ok, so the plates are working for that half of the room. I do love them there.

• parma42
    12 years ago

Yes!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kmcg - What color plates would you think for the DR? Brown? Solid white? I like red but didn't want to end up too Christmasy with the green walls. That is an idea also.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

This feels good. What do y'all think?

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah! I like that one better than the one with smaller pics above. What color are those plates? Blue? Black?

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

Blue. I think it would be a nice break and that area is a bit different as a passage. Maybe they could be more of a deeper blue than the above. It's good to throw something in outside of the basic room colors, to relax things.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

The blue is also less redundant than the ones over the wing chair. I guess most people would probably prefer the black. I like that very much too.

So, here's a darker blue (a bit too bright, I think, lol) and the black. The bowl on the table is a dark teal. Also a shot of the lighter shade on the lamp:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here, these more delicate ones are good:

{{!gwi}}

• loribee
    12 years ago

Love it...
    but why can't she decorate around the thermostat? I had to do that in our old home, my husband would have had a stroke if I tried to move it! Can't get into photobucket right now, due to their maintenance but I will try to remember after work.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Sorry this is so small but I think that you can see the red emergency switch on one side and the big light switch on the other side~ hope this helps with your thermostat issue. :)

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Hey that works sheesesherrie. Plates are my favorite thing on walls. You might be surprized at how cheap some of them are dating back to 1830's for maybe twenty bucks each, maybe less. I love that old white Ironstone and even big lids look good, shown above.

.....Jane

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squirrel - I like the black a bit better than the blue. Thanks!

Loribee - Yeah, the thermostat. I mentioned to DH last night about moving it and it wasn't the most popular conversation of the evening. It started by me not being able to find the manuals for the thermostat or the heat pump. He couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. . . Anyhow, I'm still going to call about it but even if it can be moved I might not fight this one too much. I may have to decorate around it. So plates could end up on that wall. Thanks for posting that picture! Looks good!

I would like to add something iron on the walls somewhere . . I could always just do the iron door topper in the DR above the doors.

Jane- I'm really starting to like white ironstone too. The thrift store I always go to had a bunch of ironstone plates, tureen, etc. for $dollars. Cheap! I didn't buy them, they were there for close to a year. I went to buy them and they're gone. :(

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

The mirror over the console just made sense and also keeps from getting too many smaller things; some variety. I just thought a tall mirror had a nice effect -- then saw the thermostat? ¡size> ?

I don't think it would be a big deal at all to just unscrew the box and pull or extend the wires over a couple of feet towards the door. Then it wouldn't obstruct the area and likely no patching or fishing would be necessary. A couple of small wire holes left behind under the mirror. Almost like moving a picture. If this is one of your dh's friends who visits sometimes, no special trip for a service call, either. I know the electricians actually leave some slack in the wires back there.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

Shee, you can incorporate the iron into the plate display like I've done. I actually need two more plates to go above the ones pictured here, but I have not been successful finding them. Anyway, here it is. I know you have seen this pic a thousand times. Sorry. I also like plates to flank a mirror. Maybe three plates vertically on either side of a mirror. Love that look!

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

I've never seen that! I love it. Just beautiful.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squirrel - I didn't think about just scootching it over. You mean still on the same wall? Or over above the light switch on the other side? I would rather have the tall mirror than multiple things.
    DH and this guy were friends growing up. We've never done anything with them as a couple etc. It's just one of those things where they still like each other but don't get together. We run into them frequently while out shopping on the weekends. They do live close by.

Kmcg - I love that pic! Three plates vertically on either side of a mirror on the gallery wall or the thermostat wall?

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

Thanks squirrel. Maybe something like that would work for her. The scale can always be adjusted to whatever size wall or thing it is placed over. Come to think of it, a tall narrow mirror with plates flanking the sides might work over her little demilune table. Also, shee, you can use whatever plates you have. If you have some pretty plates that have been passed down to you, then all the better!

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

Yes, just moved over would work. It actually looks to be only about a foot, so there may be enough slack left there with the wiring. Not sure what they do to extend the wiring a bit; just couple it up with a few more inches or if that's not a good code thing.

• squirrelheaven
    12 years ago

It would be nice to have them clustered, taking up only one spot, but this would surely be easier and let you have use of the wall.

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

Whatever wall pleases you the most. I didn't have one in mind. Just throwing out differenty ideas! Here's something similar, but larger.
    {{!gwi}}

• loribee
    12 years ago

Any decisions or changes in your pretty room???

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Loribee - No I haven't moved anything else around. Everything is still switched as is in the final pics. I did attempt to darken the picture frame but it needs another coat. Haven't called about the thermostat yet. We ended up getting a bedroom set over the weekend so last week I was occupied with that. It's still on my to do list though.
    Thanks for thinking of me!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thermostat is still waiting to be moved. I've been searching for a red lamp shade but haven't found anything in the right shape or size. I thought about recovering the existing but am not brave enough. Don't want to mess it up. At any rate, to add some color, for now I threw in some red hydrangeas.
    {{!gwi}}