SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Remove Paneling from wall, put up with construction adhesive.

sunslight
17 years ago

Many years ago, I paneled my basement (dont think they still use paneling?) with beautiful sheets of light, Walnut.

I used construction adhesive to put up firing strips, shimmed out for level on the concrete walls.

Not a single wall was plumb. It took lots of shims and about two weeks of work.

With the firing strips up, I ran a bead of adhesive down each one and put up the paneling; then, anchored them with brads.

This was more than 25 years ago. The glue has had lots of time to set up and I think, gain strength.

Not a single panel has come loose, at all. Now though, I must pull one of them off.

They are no longer made. Breaking one will be bad news.

I think the biggest problem is getting behind the panel and cutting through or softening the adhesive.

With a small putty knife, I manage to pry loose maybe ¼ inch of a corner. ThatÂs all I dared do, afraid that the force of lifting could cause it to crack. ThatÂs also the limit my tools would let me reach.

Not knowing the kind of adhesiveÂonly that it was construction adhesive for wood to wood, to concrete, and 25 years old, makes it harder to know what, if anything can be used to soften it.

Things I have available:

Isopropyl alcoholÂ70 and 90 %

Mineral Spirits

Hair dryer for heat

Piano Wire

I have a 3" syringe that I can use to squirt a liquid at the adhesive. But I donÂt want the alcohol or mineral spirits or any heat applied, to loosen the bond of the walnut to its backingÂonly the panel from the firing strips.

I can try the piano wireÂdonÂt know what to do when I run into a brad.

With only a ¼ inch of an edge to get the piano wire under, thatÂs not much room to start with. But itÂs better than nothing. My luck with piano wire in trying to take down mirrors has been breaking them.

What are your ideas, methods, and thoughts on how to get the panel down without cracking it?

(btw) do they still use paneling to finish basements and the like? I havenÂt seen any for a long time.

Bob T

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations